Engine ID.

Vitelio 26

Hi again guys, hope everything is well.

Just posting to see if anyone can help identify the engine on my 63 riv, I am afraid it is not the factory engine, and not even a 401.

Below is the info I have been able to gather.

The block casting number, located in the back of the engine (near firewall) is 1173201-15 (which seems to indicate an older 364 engine ('57-60).

The head casting number is 1185485 which could also indicate either a 364, 401 or 425 ('61-66).

The production code number seems to be 3F59969 and the engine serial number 4F6006845.

Car Cowl Tag reads 7J1049401.

I am under the impression the engine migh have come from a 59 Le Sabre.

Regards,

Vitelio Mejía

Open this link and check where the Production Code Number and Engine Serial Number are located.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/view.php?pg=indent_engine_where

The Production code number for a '63 Riviera should be JT for a 401 or JW for a 425; either was available in '63. The Engine serial number should be the same as the VIN number on the body and title if it's the original engine.

Here are a couple of "numbers" that will get you started.

ALL 401's are coded with a T

ALL 425's are coded with a W

1963 = J

1964 = K

1965 = L

1966 = M

A combination of one letter for the CID and one letter for the year will tell you what you're looking at.

59 - 63's work with a dynaflow trans, whereas 64 - 66's work with a TH400 (Buick called it an ST400.) The difference was in the rear hub of the crankshaft. There are also differences in the way the starter motors bolt on; three different styles of starter bolt patterns.

401's were "numbered" 4F for '59, 4G for '60, 4H for 61, and 4I (I as in India) for '62. I don't know if these numbers stood alone or were part of another number.

One other giveaway is that only in '63 and only on the Riviera was the engine painted a dull aluminum color.

If your car runs well, paint the engine dull aluminum (with a heavy coat where the ID numbers are,) and run a red wrinkle finished air cleaner; enjoy your ride and no one will know the difference unless you tell them. wink.gif

The same casting numbers were used for a multitude of years, so they're really no good for identifying years, only applications.

Good luck.

Ed

Dear Ed and Old Guy,

Thanks for the help, I will be meassuring the space between the intake bolts tonight to make sure.

But I have confirmed the numbers on the engine, as per, Ed's indications.

The production code number seems to be 3F59969 (located at the front of the block, passenger side and upside down when looking from the front of the car) and the engine serial number 4F6006845 (located at the front of the block, driver side, not inverted when looking from the front of the car).

If I am correct, this seems to indicate the engine came from a 59 le sabre( 4F6XXXXXXX) and it is a 364 (3FXXXXX).

Now to the really important matter, I am looking for a water pump, timing cover and timing chain for the engine. What could be compatible?

Regards,

Vitelio

I think you've done well on your homework on establishing what engine you have. You have a couple of options: Work with what you have or find a 401 from a 62 or 63 and install it. The basic difference between a 364 and a 401/425 is the deck height - the block is taller to accept a larger bore. The things that are not interchangeable are the things that have to be wider to fit the farther apart spacing of block surfaces where the heads bolt on - intake manifold and water inlet housing. All other items are interchangeable. You have to watch the length of the neck on the water pump but they all bolt to every block.

Ed

Dear Ed,

I am also trying to figure out the correct name for a certain part of the engine (in english).

I have attached a picture of a similar nailhead, and indicated the part I am referring too, hope it is clear enough.

Regards,

post-59438-143138048815_thumb.jpg

post-59438-143138048815_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ed,

My question arose because when browsing for parts on differente websites the Timing Cover would only include the front most portion and I wondered if this was a different thing.

I hope that the whole thing is available.

Regards,

Russ Martin owns Centerville Auto Repair and handles a lot of nailhead parts, both new and used. Contact him at 530-272-1564 and tell him what you're looking for. I know that he has new ones for 401/425's but I'm not sure about the 364. He'll be able to tell you all the nitty-gritty differences between each production year. Tell him "Hi" for me.

Ed