Flooding and electronics

Guest SwiftBuicks

Guest SwiftBuicks

My '89 Riviera went through two back to back hurricanes, Jeanne and Francis, 4 years ago. After it was taken out and used for a short time it went into dry storage. I have been seeing the B334 code, the warning message <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPUTER COMMUNICATION PROBLEM DETECTED some vehicle function may exhibit degrading performance</span> and the <span style="font-weight: bold">NO ECM DATA</span> output. I am wondering if the ECM may have been fouled somewhat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SwiftBuicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My '89 Riviera went through two back to back hurricanes, Jeanne and Francis, 4 years ago. After it was taken out and used for a short time it went into dry storage. I have been seeing the B334 code, the warning message <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPUTER COMMUNICATION PROBLEM DETECTED some vehicle function may exhibit degrading performance</span> and the <span style="font-weight: bold">NO ECM DATA</span> output. I am wondering if the ECM may have been fouled somewhat. </div></div>

It's possible that it's the ECM but more likely is a corroded connector. You might want to invest in a spray can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack.

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's possible that it's the ECM but more likely is a corroded connector. You might want to invest in a spray can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack. </div></div> I've already done that. I have gone over the wiring as best I can. Everything looks rather clean. I replaced the BCM, too. There was no change. The car runs well, though, so I'm not tearing my hair out over it.

First, is the ALDL cover in place - the one that says "Do not remove this cover" next to the parking brake ? It completes the LAN loop.

Second if the CRT is functioning then go into the diagnostics mode. Are the codes "Current" © or "History" (H) ? (History means that it was detected at some time in the past but not now). I have seen codes like B334 appear if the battery goes dead or close but will be "History"

If history, clear the codes and see if they reappear. BTW without ECM data, the "guages" display will not work properly.

The description and diagnosis tree can be found on page 8D2-34 & 35 of the 89 "E" FSM.

Guest SwiftBuicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, is the ALDL cover in place - the one that says "Do not remove this cover" next to the parking brake ? It completes the LAN loop.</div></div> Yes, I have checked the cover, and it is in place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Second if the CRT is functioning then go into the diagnostics mode. Are the codes "Current" © or "History" (H) ? (History means that it was detected at some time in the past but not now). I have seen codes like B334 appear if the battery goes dead or close but will be "History"</div></div> The message comes up current every time I use the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW without ECM data, the "guages" display will not work properly.

</div></div> The gauges display does not work properly.

Guest palosfv3

Did your Riv go underwater in the flood ?

Many states have statutes regarding flood loss cars and insurance settlements. I only mention this because flood damaged cars have major problems with electronics and the problems can be very difficult to resolve. In a nutshell , There are enzymes and other contaminants in the flood water that wick their way into the wiring , contacts and relays which in turn start to corrode any of metallic components of the electrical system. Sometimes the corrosion is evident other times its hidden inside relays or even the wires themselves . Over time and with exposure to normal enviroments this corrosion can be minor but high levels of humidity can accelerate the damage. In extreme cases even changes in the humidity can cause things to work one day and not the next. There are telltales signs if you have this type of damage. Corrosion at the wiring connectors. Most aluminum parts on the engine will show pitting similar to salt damaged potmetal .

In Florida just driving on the beach at Daytona if you got into the dark (wet) sand meant about three years later there would be severe rust problems (have seen bow and stern seperation and springs visible when you open the trunk).

Also have seen areas of salt water on roads following major storms that can have the same result if driven through and will never be reflected on a title.

This is part of the reason (really) I live in Orlando - rust has to be imported here. I grew up on the coast and there are signs of salt exposure (just parking outside within a mile of the beach for a week can leave a car white).

The are certain areas you learn to look at (around windshield moldings is a prime place) for high rust caused by spray and underneath as in a midwest car for low rust from splashed salt.

For some reason it seems to be worse on east coasts (not just Florida) than west coasts.

ps always wanted a HK-500 with Pont-a-mousson. (avid parking under gargoyles)