got one!

Guest larryF

I just bought a 90 tc. I would love to talk to someone who knows these cars.

I need to replace the drivers side corner lamp assy, and the seat switches and shift position indicator are broke loose from the console. Anyone out there that can help?

Very cool car!

Hi Larry,

I answered your PM. If you have any mechanical ability I would suggest buying a factory repair manual. I'd pay up to $50.00 for it. More than that is a "rip off". If your car is a V6 I think I have an extra. I'd also suggest joining the TC America club. That gives you a newsletter quarterly with much "Good Stuff" inside. ~ Also ~ Give us a run down on you and your car. We are all interested and that helps us know how to answer your questions. Good Luck, Lou

I live in northwest florida, (lower alabama), in Fort Walton Beach. My tc is a 90, with a v6 automatic. I don't have a hard top, but I've got a line on the previous owner, and will try to find out if he knows what happened to it. The car was sold last year as part of an estate, and appears to have been ignored in a garage for some time. The few dings in the paint are all on top, suggesting dropped or piled junk on it. It runs great, but is begging for a tuneup. I'll get to that soon. The canvas top is in great shape, no leaks. only a little interior wear, on driver's seat and console armrest. Some idiot couldn't figure out the short in the light switch, and cut all the interior lights. Not a big deal for most, but they cut and buried the rearview mirror lights, requiring some new wire, sadly not matching the original exactly. A couple questions for the experts:

My wheels are black (anodized?), which I haven't seen in any pics. Original, or not?

My grill is chrome (looking), not black like most I've seen. Original, or not?

Driver's seat controls work, pass. side broken. Both, and shift position indicator broke loose from console. Any suggestions how to fix?

Oh, car is red, with black interior. And, I LOVE IT! Coolest car I've ever owned, and more fun to drive than my old 69 bonneville convertible.

Anyone can help, feel free to email me.

larryfolta@cox.net

Thanks

Guest StudeDude 01

Larry---welcome to the Club. Having fun with the car is the most important thing.

Try this page for the seat as well as other common repair/issues:

chryslertcbymaseraticlub.com/memberProjects/jeffBackes/index.html.

Jeff gives a pretty detailed repair procedure for the seat switches. Since you'll be taking the console apart to fix the seat control (s), the cable (wire) that operates the shift position indicator should be visible and, if not broken, you should be able to adjust it or put it back on track. Black wheels? Not stock to my the best of my knowledge. Chrome grill? That's what they came with from the factory.

Lou's advice re: the service manual is absolutely correct--you will need it to help figure out some of the interesting things which happen to the TC, especially as they continue to age.

Larry, I have a hard top <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">very</span></span> reasonably priced if you're ever up near VA.

Also, the driver's seat switch and passenger's seat switch are identical. See if you can swap them out to see if the switch is bad or if it's the wiring or the motors. If you need a new seat switch I have one of those as well.

Wheels should be a brushed/painted aluminum look, and they are different than the LeBaron Basket wheels - the TC wheels are made by Fondmetal.

Grill surround is chrome, with chrome penta-trident in the center, but the egg crating is black.

some good advice, folks, and much appreciated! The wheels look exactly like the ones I've seen in pictures, right down to the tc logo in the center, except black. The egg crating on the grill is not black. Most unusual...? I am not sure yet about seat controls. My first attempt to remove the console was thwarted by time constraints and mild confusion. I was perplexed by how little wire there was to work with on the seat controls; I cxouldn't get the console ub but maybe four inches, before tugging at the wiring. Is this normal, and/or should I be looking for more slack under the seats?

Car chick, The base plate for the pass. seat controls is cracked in several places. I'll need more time to pull it out, but I'm thinking that may be the issue, which would make it a seat wiring harness?

Stude- great link to very useful info, Thanks!

Hi Larry and congrats on the new addition to the family....

Ah...seat controls and short wires...yup, that's normal.(and all the forum members nod their head...)They have clip on the ends but it is a bugger trying to get your hand in (you'll need a small one) to get at them.When I fixed mine I made extensions for the wire assembly.I also found that for me, it made the job easier with one of the seats removed.

Use the search function on this forum for just about ANY thing you want to know about...someone has done it/broke it/fixed it/modified it/complained about it grin.gif

Welcome to the TC obsession!!!!

Bill....you missed all the fun of getting the console OUT though... wink.gif

Larry that was one of my first TC fixes also...here's an excerpt from one of my first posts here.. laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "mad_bohemain"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok..so now I have been indoctrinated into the TC school of GRRRR. Took 2 hours to get my console out shocked.gif . Kudos to those of you who have accomplished this feat. To those of you who did it without bloodshed...your're my hero. To those who did it in under an hour..without bloodshed...(or cursing...)you're gods!! wink.gif

I read in an older post that it was a tight fit getting the plugs off the back of the seat controls. It didn't mention however, that you need six years of contortionist training with the circus and another 2 years of dexterity tutoring with a card shark..oh..and you need hands the size of a ten year-old. shocked.gif So anyway...got the console out and dimanteld and all cleaned up. Made wire harness to lengthen the controls ..so that's one job done, now onto the rear passenger window..</div></div>

ahh...the memories...lol wink.gif

OK, so now I know the egg crate grill in my hotrod is not original. Anyone got one they're willing to sell? Anyone?

Still looking for drivers side cornerlamp as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: larryF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so now I know the egg crate grill in my hotrod is not original. Anyone got one they're willing to sell? Anyone?

Still looking for drivers side cornerlamp as well... </div></div>

C'mon Larry, driver side is *easy* AND cheap. Lucky its not the other one wink.gif

Alan

Ok Alan, as I am clearly a rookie, How bout you show me how it's done, and put me onto one. If you then also produce the grill, you shall be my zen master.

I am kinda holding back a little here, not willing to get too completely obsessed, until I have determined if restoration and maintainence is possible. You, my future zen master of tc's, can lure me to the dark side with just a few small parts!!!

Larry

Hey Larry,

I love your Banter.!! Hey Alan, I want to bow at the waist; but I can't, I'm laughing too hard.....

I'm sorry I do not have a driver's side (L) Turn light. I have 2 Passenger side units. 1 perfect and 1 with age checks on the inside. Even tho they do not go thru the lens ( Lens is completely smooth and blemish free on the outside) they are visible. Lou

Lou, Is it possible to turn these things around, and put them on the other side? I keep finding people that have pass. side corner lamps, but no driver's side.

Alan, Was kinda hoping you would show me how easy it is to find these things...

Larry

No, these lights can't be used on the other side, too many curved surfaces that can't even come close to matching body contours. Some people seem to think that these lights are always for sale somewhere for a great deal. They are usually for sale at www.arizonaparts.com but for a premium price, convenience = higher price point.

They are sometimes for sale here or on ebay at lower prices, I just auctioned my corner lights on ebay and the selling price was about half what it would have been 2 years ago due to not as many buyers with excess money in this economy. I was holding on to my lights in case of getting another TC but being unemployed changes the perspective! As I need more money I might auction a few more pieces one at a time but I hate using evilbay to sell things almost as much as I hate shipping things.

Someone in the New England has a lot of TC parts on ebay right now but not very many bids as of yet, most TC parts buyers are known to wait until the last few hours to bid.

Hi Larry,

What David said.!!! Except I have found that normally the passenger (right) side are harder to find and therefore are more expensive than the driver (left) side.. Lou