1961-62 cruise control question

hello everyone I need some help with the linkage on the cruise control.I have been asked by a couple of friends to make them the cruise linkage.My problem is in the thread that goes through the cruise unit,the original thread is not a standard it is 1/4-32 standard thread now is 1/4-28, is the unit or coupling threaded or is it a clearance hole and you hold it in place with lock or jam nuts,if threaded can it be retapped to the standard thread 1/4-28.this is the rod with all the bends i

n it that goes to the carb linkage.

Thanks for your help here and this should get a few more car options back in working order

I'll bet that original you are using for a pattern is mine...

The threaded end goes into a swivel. You thread it up the rod and the pin on the end of the swivel goes through a hole in the arm on the regulator and is held in place by a cotter pin. The swivel is a standard GM part. I had a guy make me a rod before I had an original. It was unthreaded. One of the guys here in the shop threaded it for me and it fit the stock swivel perfectly.

Paul

Hi Paul this may be your part I got it from a friend in the chicago area.What I need to know is if I cut a standard thread can the swivel be rethreaded to the standard thread and have enough thread left to hold it in place? The lathe I have is not equipped for single point threading therefore I have to do it with a die everything else I can do.

Thanks for your answer

Steve

If all you need is a die to cut a 1/4-32 male thread, I'm sorry but you must not be looking very hard. A 20 second Google search (<span style="font-style: italic">die "1/4-32"</span>) turned up dozens of hits. Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17074) has the die you're looking for for $8.10.