Automatic clutch

Guest Juergen

Guest Juergen

Hallo,

in the Buick literature I have read, that the 1933 models are equiped with an automatic pneumatic clutch beside the normal one. My early 1933 Serie 66S sport Coupe has not. Are also the early one fitted with this feature ? Or it is dismantled many years ago. Did this feature works well, or was it better to use the traditional way of operating the clutch ?

Thank you from germany

Juergen

By the way: I am going to collect the car during the next 4 weeks

in france and drive home on own axle (I hope so) about 1000 km.

Juergen,

It is called "The Wizard Control", and all 1933 Buicks originally came with it, but many were not used or were removed. You will see a small button on the driver's floor, next to and just in front of the door opening. When I had a 1933 Buick, it was a red plastic button, but I do not think the plastic was correct or original. It works with engine vacuum.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

Juergen,

My recommendation, even if you have it, is that you do not use it. I think if it fails, you could damage some gears. It is also a "freewheeling" device, allowing the car to coast without the engine to hold the car back on a decline. However, if you engaged the clutch, and used the engine to brake the car, the energy would transfer to the force to the rear axles and I understand they have been know to snap when they absorb the pressure. I will try to get you some photos of the "Wizard" device on the side of the engine.

John