how to tell if my 1953 IHC. is 6volt positive ground?

old yeller

Old Yeller,

First, Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forums.

Second, is the question, "How to tell if it IS positive ground?" or is the question really, "How to tell if it is SUPPOSED to be positive ground?"

If the first, that one is simple, if the other end of the cable attached to the positive terminal of the battery is connected to the frame of the vehicle, then it is a positive ground vehicle.

If the second question is what you are really trying to ask, I don't know, but I bet someone here will chime in shortly with the correct answer.

Technically, you can easily reverse the polarity of most old cars. You just have to re-polarize the generator. If you hook up the battery backwards, the amp gauge will read backwards. My Franklin is supposed to be positive ground, but somewhere along the way somebody reversed it. I can't see how it matters, so I've left it that way.

If there is no battery in the truck, a way to tell is to check the battery terminals. The positive post is slightly larger, and the positive terminal ring will therefore be slightly larger.

Take a look at the coil wiring... If the wire from the distributor (condensor and points), if that wire goes to the PLUS side on the small coil terminals, then it is set up for positive ground. and then the other small coil wire marked with the minus symbol (-) would go to the ign switch.

Guest imported_brian j

Hi. Here's my 2 cents. if you "run" a coil backwards it will work, but will ultimately burn out the coil. The "buzzing" you hear in the regulator is the polarity not set. That will also shorten the life if the regulator. Because the polarity isn't set it "pushes" the points inside the regulator away insted of pulling them together like they are supposed to be doing. Hence the "buzzing" noise. You shouldn't get any major sparking when attaching the battery with the key off. You may need to check for a "short" somewhere. The best way for you to get educated on vintage auto electrical is to hunt down an old "auto electrical" book or manual. You can find them around here and there. They are very helpful. Good luck.

I had to find this out on a 1946 Nash Ambassador I purchased that had sat for 43 or so years.One battery cable was missing,

so after replacing the cable,I simply installed the 6volt battery,hooked up one cable,turned on the headlights,then

touched the other cable to the remaing post,while watching the amp guage,If it shows discharge it's right,if it shows charge,

it's wrong,assuming of course You have an amp guage rather than idiot lights. Hope this helps,worked for Me.

Jim

Peterborough Ont. Can.

Presuming you have no battery - but do have at least one cable.

The battery posts (and the cable ends as well) are different diameter. On my 12V the + post is larger by about 1/16".

Once you have the 12V battery match the cable end(s) to the right dia post.