Cars to ID from MBCC Homecoming

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

I've shared some stories and photos with the editor of my local car club and we are looking for confirmation of identification of some years. These are from the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada meet in Oshawa in August.

I believe this was an unrestored 1908 McLaughlin.

08Homecoming205.jpg

Looks to me to be a 1931 - based on the width of the tires, I'd think it could almost be a custom.

31Homecoming207.jpg

This is the one that's tougher for me...I'd say late teens to early 20s, but I certainly can't nail it down.

TeensHomecoming209.jpg

If anyone can positively identify /verify the years of these cars, it would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to me that I haven't shared photos from this show here, other than the ones that made their way into the Bugle. I guess I'll have to upload some photos this weekend to help take the chill off winter and remember warmer days.

Guest imported_Thriller

Thanks guys. Gotta love those Buick Centennial plates - 1918 E-44.

Here's a couple of shots of features of the unrestored hearse.

HearseRadCap097.jpg

HearseBumper096.jpg

I love how the porcelain stays so nice while surrounded by wear. The front bumper says McLaughlins were proudly Canadian.

I really have to organize the photos from that show and make a thorough post.

Guest imported_Thriller

Yes, George, it is a shame we didn't meet. As this was our first Homecoming, just about everyone was new to us (except Bill McLaughlin, the Horsfalls, and perhaps a few others).

There were some great cars there...hopefully this weekend I can pick some out and edit them down to show here. Pete already showed a few of his favourites in the Bugle article Teresa wrote (she turned thirteen this week...shudder). At least she has a good head on her shoulders and occasionally sports a BCA Judge cap.

Guest DaveCorbin

Did ANYBODY take a picture of the McLaughlin plates on ANY of these cars, ESPECIALLY the 1908? I can see it in a photo, but can't read it. Who owns the 1908?

Help me help you guys on dating these cars. ANYTIME you see a McLaughlin 1908 to 1932, the engine number and the McLaughlin plate serial number are needed so I can add them to my McLaughlin database to reconstruct what GM of Canada threw away!!! PLEASE HELP !!!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm afraid I have nothing like that Dave. However, I will keep it in mind in the future.

You have the numbers from my '29, right? I know there are also some McLaughlins from the teens around this part of the world. When I get a chance I'll try to remember to take the appropriate photos.

Mark - according to the centennial meet plate on the roadster, it's a 1918 E-44 (6 cylinder).

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear George:

Your car is a 1930 model 46S, as confirmed by job number 30008

Both the body number of 50 and the engine number of 2,439,984 confirm a very early 1930 car, probably in the second week of production in June 1929, which was the third calender week of June in the USA.

For a USA car, I would be sure you're missing a digit in the frame number but I can't figure out what. Look at it again and let me know. If you're giving me a McLaughlin serial number, my table confirms a very early 1930 car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,

I left out one zero on the job no. It should be 30008. This is the number that appears on the firewall and listed on the Colorado title. When I get a title in my state—North Dakota—I was going to try to have that changed to the frame number. Am I correct to think of the number on the right front frame as the VIN number?

Thanks

Paul

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Paul:

Buick produced 10,719 model 46S in 1930. Everything matches among your frame number, engine number and body number to confirm a very-late-in-the-year car, probably withn the last 10% of the run.

A numbers match car!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Paul:

Yes and that is the number I would use IF you get a choice. Many states used the engine number prior to 1955 and Texas still enforces the old regulations.

In spite of what you might think, "job number" is the SAME for ALL of those 10,719 1930 model 46S. It absolutely should NOT be the number on the title.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear George

Thanks for the link and I hope a lot of our guys click on it.

One thing that was obliquely referred to was Col. Sam's GM service As part of the contract to buy out the McLaughlins, Col. Sam asked for and got all his folks granted their service with McLaughlin as counted GM service for various pension, retirement etc.

In the end, it was, weirdly enough, Col. Sam himself who benefited most. He became the longest serving GM employee in history anywhere in the world, an astounding 83 years and 5 months of credited service.

Regards, Dave Corbin

The pictures of the maroon/black touring car without a top and under restoration is my 1923 McLaughlin Buick, model 45 Special, export. As you can see it is right hand drive. It was exported to England and came back to the states in the 60s.

We believed that this car might be an only survivor as propably few were produced for export, maybe a couple of dozen. But yesterday I found a 23 MB, model 45 special export in Australia. Pictues are coming via mail so I only have one right now. I will post that picture on my picture site www.picasaweb.google.com/unimogjohn

Dave, you have the information on my car.

John Feser

• 2 weeks later...

The 1927 McLaughlin Buick hearse is owned by Lee Smith. Lee plans to make the car operational, but leave it the way it was found. It is in really original shape. It looks complete, but the vacuum fuel pump and carb are in pieces. Lee is a mechanic and ownes his own repair business and should be able to get this unique car back on the road. In addition to its hearse duty, it was also used as an ambulance. Here is a short write-up on the car from the CanadianDriver magazine.

"Lee Smith's 1927 funeral coach is outfitted for those specific duties, early professional cars generally received just one type of coach body, and the interiors were easily switched to turn the car from ambulance into hearse. Some changed back and forth between duties during their lifetimes. That helps explain the sliding partition window in Smith's car, which in this case would open to a rather non-conversational passenger. Smith, an auto mechanic, bought the car four years ago in Waterford, Ontario. "When I first saw it, I had to have it, since it's one of a kind," he said of the car, which is rough but complete, and very restorable. "In 1969 it was pulled out of a gravel pit to be scrapped, and the people I got it from traded a load of scrap metal for it. It was supposed to be the fellow's retirement project, but he kept working, and then he passed away."

"The car still wears a 1949 license plate, and contains an odd double floor, which opens in the middle with hinges on the side. Smith suspects that it was a later addition to update the car, since it contains casket rollers, and pins to hold the box in place once it's loaded. The car also has an original wooden flower rack that sits on metal braces halfway up the inside, and Smith found the car's tool kit and taillight under the seat".