80 years old and pitted

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

I had to pick up some parts at a Chrysler dealership yesterday, while there I saw a 1929 Plymouth 4dr. touring convertable. The car was perfect from about 6 ft. but as I looked it over as if I where judging it I saw some pitting on some chrome parts. The steering wheel had been repaired but the dove tail showed vary plain and was a little warped. I thought the car was beutifull,but wondered WOULD I take a point or two for afore mentioned items or maby say its 80 years old . What would you do????

As for me, yes I would deduct some points. I would have to see for myself how bad the pitting is.

As for the steering wheel, if the repair was done in a good workmanship fashion, which is allowed, that part would only receive a deduction if the repair was not well done. The gap in the dovetail would get at least a point taken off, maybe two since it is warped.

Vehicles don't get to slide on deductions just because they are old if the wear/damage is obvious and in need of replacement or restoration. I do not however nitpick over things like 80 years worth of patina on metal parts like door handles as long as it is not excessive. If all handles had it I might take one point off for all of it. I know that "technically" that is taking fractions of points off but it is a way to not ignore it but not ding it too hard.

wj is the one that said it was chrome and he saw it and I didn't so not sure on that.

It could be true that the steering wheel was not perfect, but he described it as warped. Sounds like a CAR-FAX might be in order here so make sure it wasn't in a flood at some point. wink.gifgrin.gif

Guest windjamer

Susan the bumpers where difinately mirror like chrome. The cornors of the lower window frame looked like chrome to me. Thats where I saw the pits. It looked like they had been polished untill they where concave. Maby filed,not filled and then rechromed. I do agree with you on point deduction, but it would hurt me to take them. As I said the car was just beutiful, I wouldnt trade my Buick for it,but I wonder would my wife notice her Chevelle looked a little older???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wj is the one that said it was chrome and he saw it and I didn't so not sure on that</div></div>Nope I know Dick saw it. The point I'm trying to make to you and everyone else is authenticity. If the car has chrome when it's supposed to be nickel, condition is irrelevant. As for the warped steering wheel, it may never have been perfect to begin with, so without seeing it in person, it may be what it originally was.

I'm not 100% sure as to when nickel went away and chrome came in. but at a vehicle that age, I would be more concerned if the finish is correct, before worrying about the condition of the finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not 100% sure as to when nickel went away and chrome came in. but at a vehicle that age, I would be more concerned if the finish is correct, before worrying about the condition of the finish. </div></div>

I finally found the information regarding chrome in the Judges Guideline manual.

"1925 Chrome Plating on Oldsmobile; 1928 on most other makes."

"Plating must be of the authentic type for the vehicle being judged. Chrome plating prior to 1928 is imprroper unless authenticity can be documented by the owner. Hard Nickel is acceptable. Deduct 1 point for each item with non-authentic plating with a maximum deduction of 10 points. <span style="font-weight: bold">Ask for documentation on questionable plating.</span>"

Hopefully this will help all of us. I am sure that someone on the judging committee has the entire list of which cars could have chrome plating from the factory.

And I bet that the Library and Research Center could tell us for sure on the car wj saw. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The cornors of the lower window frame looked like chrome to me. Thats where I saw the pits. It looked like they had been polished untill they where concave. Maby filed,not filled and then rechromed.</div></div>

Lets say that this vehicle should have chrome rather than nickel. Based on that there should be a deduction for the pits and a deduction for poor workmanship if it was ground/filed down and not rebuilt before being rechromed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do agree with you on point deduction, but it would hurt me to take them. </div></div>

I know it would hurt, but to be fair to every owner there you must take them. How could you not when you know there are vehicles there that the owners had done the work to not lose points? We don't judge vehicles against each other but we MUST treat them all fairly and equally and that means taking deductions when they are warranted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I said the car was just beutiful, I wouldnt trade my Buick for it,but I wonder would my wife notice her Chevelle looked a little older??? </div></div>

Depends on just how much "Egg Nog" she had during the holidays. wink.gifgrin.gif Keep in mind, ex98thdrill, and his dad, convinced his mom that the Christmas lights sucked up all that electricty. Heater in the shop, what heater in the shop? whistle.gifgrin.gif

Guest boettger

Dick,

Mr. M's Plymouth was restored a number of years aga by the "skilled" techs at his dealership bodyshop.

The car should have chrome!

Car was not restored to be an AACA Show car, but to be done in time for his daughter's wedding.

Overall it is very nice, but lacks some attention to detail that a show quality restoration would have.

Works very nice in the Chrysler and former Plymouth showroom!

Guest windjamer

Steve my curiosity got the best of me, so I had to do some checking. In 1985 Mathews Chrysler in Vestal NY purchased the car from a MRS Nellie Roth. Mrs Roth brought the car here from her native Buenos Aires Argentina in 1980. The car was originally purchased by her father Henry Ortner. Theres quite a story behind the eight year restoration,but bottom line Jim Mathews had the car restored starting in 1987 so his daughter could use it in her wedding. The car was documented as one of only five known to exist by Earl Button JR> This is the #5.

Its realy a interisting story, Im to d*mm dumb to post a picture and dont have the equipment anyway, but if you like pm me a address and ill send you a copy of the literature.

Guest windjamer

Good evening and merry Christmas Steve Boettger (a little late) My previous post was ment for Steve Braverman, Im sure you know more about the car than I. See you at the meeting.

I saw this Plymouth at Rhinebeck in the Hudson Valley around 1990. My father and I were wandering around the flea market when to drove in. As we were looking at the car, Earl Buton and another Plymouth expert seemed to materialize around the car. It wasn't in great condition as you can see in the photo, but it quickly sold for something like $4,000, and was driven home by its new owner. I've never seen it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ex98thdrill, and his dad, convinced his mom that the Christmas lights sucked up all that electricty. Heater in the shop, what heater in the shop?</div></div> You'll never let me live that down will you??

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ex98thdrill, and his dad, convinced his mom that the Christmas lights sucked up all that electricty. Heater in the shop, what heater in the shop?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You'll never let me live that down will you??

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif </div></div>

No that is not it at all. It is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard and it still makes me smile. smile.gif I just thought I would share it with anyone that had not heard it. We could all use a smile.

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah now I bought enough lights where I can raise the ladder on the ladder truck and make one big Christmas tree.....</div></div>

Saints preserve us. crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The story about my wife and that ladder truck will put you on the floor. </div></div>

Okay, got my riding helmet on to protect me from the collision with the floor. Now you can share the story. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, got my riding helmet on to protect me from the collision with the floor. Now you can share the story. </div></div>Over the summer I told my wife that I was looking at buying another fire truck. At the time I told her she was slicing up some vegetables in the kitchen and she picked up a knife and said "you're telling me that you're looking at another fire truck when I have a knife in my hand??"

I explained to my wife that the Ford was a '42, and the truck that I was looking at was a 1949 and it came out of the same firehouse. I explained to her that the two trucks responded to fires together from 1949 to 1971. She asked me where it was and I told her "Clifton Springs." I also explained to her that both trucks were built by American LaFrance, and the two trucks were bought in the same order that I was looking at.

I never said another word, and kept working a lot of overtime so I could get the money to get the truck.

Where the plot starts to thicken involves my wife's hairdresser.

My wife has been getting her hair done at JC Penney for several years. Back in August she had her hair done by the same hairdresser, in the same store, getting the same hairstyle, (as she always has) and got charged $78.

Needless to say she never went back. My wife decided to try a new hairdresser, so she found a hair salon in Canandaigua, and gave it a try.

My wife's first time getting her hair done at the new salon, she is sitting in the chair, and the two hairstylists in the salon started talking about how the career firefighters are total jerks (Canandaigua Fire Department has paid people who drive the truck, and volunteers who actually put out the fire). From this point here is how this goes downhill....

My wife: "My husband doesn't have a whole lot of good to say about them either" (not all of them).

The Hairstylist: "Is your husband a Canandaigua firefighter??"

My wife: "No he's with East Bloomfield, but he's battled with those guys." (which is true)

The Hairstylist: "My husband used to be a Canandaigua firefighter, but now he's with Clifton Springs."

My wife: "Oh my husband is looking at buying one of their old fire trucks."

The Hairstylist: "Clifton Springs doesn't have any old fire trucks, and they don't have anything for sale."

.....the hairstylist pauses, then she says, "Oh that's right, I forgot, they're getting a new ladder truck."

My wife: <span style="font-weight: bold">"A LADDER TRUCK!!!!"

THAT SON OF A B!TCH!!!</span>."

The Hairstylist: "Oh I'm sure your husband wouldn't do something like that."

My wife: <span style="font-weight: bold">"OH I THINK HE WOULD!!!"</span>

The Hairstylist: "I'm sure this guy isn't your husband. They guy who they're trying to sell the ladder truck already owns the fire truck that used to sit in the firehouse with the ladder truck when it was new. Him and his father restored this truck and has won all kinds of awards with it!!!"

My wife: <span style="font-weight: bold">"THAT'S MY HUSBAND!!!!"

THAT SON OF A B!TCH!!!</span>."

Needless to say my wife comes home, she corners me and says, <span style="font-weight: bold">"SO YOU F**K!NG @$$HOLE!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT FIRE TRUCK THAT YOU WERE BUYING WAS A LADDER TRUCK!!!</span>

Naturally my answer was "What makes you think I'm getting a ladder truck??"

My wife says <span style="font-weight: bold">"FORGET IT BUDDY!!!! YOU'RE BUSTED!!!"</span>

...........After my wife cooled down, I managed to find out that my wife's new hairdresser was none other than the Fire Chief's wife who I had been working with to buy the ladder.

My father laughed, and just about everyone in the GVACS Region has been busting on me ever since.

I don't know what the fuss was all about, a Ladder Truck <span style="font-weight: bold">IS</span> a fire truck, but my wife didn't see it that way. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I shou'da given my wife the money to get her hair done at JC Penny's smirk.gifsmirk.gif

On December 1st, the fire department delivered the truck to the house, during this time they brought another fire truck out, they had my entire yard and driveway lit up like it was daytime, and my father and I are out there raising the ladder in the air, turning circles, etc. and getting a quick lesson from the Chief on how to safely operate the ladder. My wife walked out of the house, walked around the truck, said to me "This thing is BIG" and walked back into the house, while a few of the neighbors were starting to gather in my driveway.

A couple of days later, she couldn't believe how nice the truck was, she couldn't believe what we paid for it, and actually thinks the truck is pretty neat. She admitted later that she could see why we got it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ex98thdrill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Naturally my answer was "What makes you think I'm getting a ladder truck??" </div></div>

Why do I picture you with that "deer in the headlights" look on your face? whistle.gifgrin.gif

A great story. I have to meet your wife sometime.