Radiator Shell Repair Questions

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

My 1921 Peugeot brass radiator shell has various dents and gouges. Could anyone offer tips on its restoration? I assume the brass rivets must be ground flat and drilled out to remove it from the radiator itself and the dents tapped out. Does anyone specialize in these repairs? I will do-it-myself, if possible. I've not found much written about this.

Phil Jamison

PA

Guest VeloMan

Here is the radiator. My choices are to remove the shell and restore it (I found a couple brass shops that will do the ob for about $250), buff it up as best I can as-is, or paint it black (as I think some of this model were originally). Removing the shell is the trick, as it appears to be soldered on all sides (including around the fill and drain spouts, and riveted as well. Any thoughts?

DSC02978.jpg

Phil Jamison

PA

Guest Kens41Buick

This is just my thought. That is a nice looking grill. If the radiator core is not leaking I would leave it alone... I would think your vehicle is fairly rare and hard to get parts.

Guest abh3usn

I agree with Ken. However, if you're intent on attempting restoration I'd contact buisness who specialize in antique car brass radiators. I know I've seen ads in several publications if I find it I'll get the info to you.

You might also try a place that restores musical instruments. A friend of mine in San Diego (Jack Chidgey) has a shop like that and fixes brass auto lamps, horns, radiator shells and windshields. There may be a place like that near you.

Any place that restores surveyors instruments should be able to make it look like new as well.

You couldn't pay me enough to paint that shell.

Guest VeloMan

I did find a brass polishing/restoration shop near me that will straighten the dents and buff it up for $250, but they don't want to remove the shell from the radiator. It looks to be attached with solder rather liberally, plus some brass pop rivets. Think I should send it to a radiator shop or try a do-it-yourself removal?

Phil