Real or Hype ?

padgett

Interesting thinking outside the box.

A Capacitor hense the fast charge time. I suspect that the 52 KW can be discharged in a nano second to. Now that will be an electrical arc!

I have never thought about discharging a capacitor slowly. Think of the car ignition, snap and almost instantly discharged and then almost instantly recharged.

In use by some good old local Canadian Boys! ... Toronto's Zenn Motors offers The CityZenn, it will hit a top speed of 80 miles per hour (or a 125 kilometers per hour as they insist on saying here in Canada) but more importantly, it will be rechargeable in five minutes. That's an astounding breakthrough: Lengthy charge times have been one of the many reasons that electric cars have yet to go mainstream. Cars powered by lithium-ion batteries need a few hours to fully charge.

Zenn's car will be powered by an energy storage unit from secretive EEStor. EEStor has built an ultracapacitor that stores electrons better than a battery, the company claims. The company has said its component can also power electric cars for longer distances than batteries.

<span style="font-weight: bold">

Pitty, only here in Ontario,<span style="font-size: 20pt">CANADA</span></span>

Prior to Reattae, I was interested in Triumphs.

For Padgetts ref: There was a guy in Brandon FL, who did kind of a neat retrfit on a Spitfire using electric. Curious as to if there has ever been any conversation there.

Tom T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steakneggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gas is $1.60. Steak </div></div>

Just because you are a millionaire, completely independently wealthy with money to burn, doesn't mean that I will choose to waste all that money.

A five-minute charge costing $9 would give the capicator enough energy to drive a small car 500 miles.

Let me see a Reatta at 30mpgs (can you get that??? NOT!) would require a 2 minute fill and only $26.67 to travel 500 miles. Only once did I ever get over 500 miles to a tank.

Go ahead waste your money, I would rather spend $9.00 but I will gladly let you blow $26.67 to travel the same distance. GM, Ford & Chrysler nead consumers just like you.

The problem with electric cars has been the weight, size, and life of the storage media. Part of the problem is that the lead-acid battery has been around for hundreds of years with few improvements.

Lithium-Ion is an alternative that is more of an evolutionary change than a step. And we need a step change.

Today, electric cars are doing good to manage 50-50 (50 miles at 50 miles per hour) and to be viable we need at least 80-80. The other issue is that for batteryes to have a decent life, they should never be discharged more than 50% which further limits range. And a battery pack today for the Tesla which is one of the most efficient is 1000 lbs of additional weight.

Gasoline OTOH gives over 200 miles for a weight (when full) of about 140 lbs. Electrics have a long way to go before they can match the effectiveness of a gallon of gasoline.

Now, if it can get close, I would be a candidate but not with a Reatta, it is just too power hungry. EESTOR promises to halve the weight of the electric source but again that is more evolutionary than a paradigm shift. We shall just have to see.

Incidently the EESTOR operates at about 5,000 volts. It will be interesting to see what kind of power step-down is used.