1930 740 3 window coupe

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Packardsforever

It's been awhile since I've posted but anyway. I have a chance to buy a 1930 740 3 window coupe. It also has the rumble seat and dual sidemounts. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model? In this market I don't know what to offer but it seems at least on Ebay that Packards are holding their value right now. I'll get pics Saturday and post some, it's supposed to be in excellent condition, we'll see.

Guest superods

The market is funny. Some years and models are doing well while others you cannot give away. I am waiting to sell my 1930 733 convertible coupe till things firm up in the financial markets. Am sure that will afford me an additional 20%, minimum.

There is a 1928 standard eight coupe on eBay with a "buy it now" price of $22,000. It is in Class 3- condition. Not sure how strong it is mechanically.

It is my opinion that a 1930 Model 740 super eight in the same condition would be worth a minimum of $10,000 more. If it were a Model 745, add another $10,000.

Guest superods

West ...you are a knowledgeable man. A person told me the other day the 136 wheel based Packards...30 to 34 range.... especially the 34.... are far superior in ride and handling... than the longer wheel base... bigger engine ....heavier ....more expensive supers and 12's. Do you agree???

Not an easy one-sentence pat answer.

I've driven standard eights (including the 734 speedsters), super eights, and 12s. I find the Super Eights (especially the super eight speedsters) to be the best overall experience. As for long wheelbase vs short(er) wheelbase, again, personal preference. Short = sporty, long = luxury.

Of course, I think that your type of driving and what gear ratios you're playing with would play a big part of the overall equation as well. If you're comparing a standard eight equipped with a low-speed ratio to a super eight with a high-speed ratio, your in-town driving impression would be that the standard eight is a better car. If you do most of your driving out on the highway, your high-speed-ratio super eight will make you smile much better.

The 12s are super-smooth. I do not remember ever driving a pre-1937 12 (it's possible), but the driving characteristics of a 1937 and later 12 I believe are much better than the earlier ones from what I've read and been told. They do tend to suck down a lot more gas. I drove a '37 12 convertible victoria about 200 miles last year, and it was a dream to drive, both in town and on the highway.

I have never driven a 1932 Light Eight, or its 1933 counterpart, but I've been told they are fun to drive, especially from one Light Eight owner who has two carburetors set up in his.

Nor have I driven any 120 Packards from 1935-42. Those are completely different animals altogether, and price for price, they may be a lot more bang for the buck than the BIG Packards.

Compared with 1931-34 Packards, the 1930 Packard values vary much more between the the 745/734 cars and the 740/733/726 cars because the styling is quite a bit different (to the trained eye, there's a big difference).

To paraphrase the real estate slogan: gear ratio, gear ratio, gear ratio

West, like you I've driven many Packards, alot from the 7th thru the 14th series, Eights, Super Eights and Twelves. Of course none of the Eights match the smoothness and power of the Twelve, but except for highway driving, my obseration is that the 34 thru 36 Eights, and especially the 34 1100 are especially delightful, very light steering, tremendous brakes, and those with the shorter wheelbases are quite handy. To me, by comparison, the 7th/8th series are rather truck-like though still nicer to drive than corresponding Cadillacs and Pierces. Refinement of suspension and steering between the 9th and 11th series must have been significant because the differences between the Eights and Light Eights of 32 are quite noticable when compared to 1934. Anyways, those are my observations and opinions.

There is also a 1929 640 coupe described to what I understand to be Class 2 condition at best, and they are asking $59,000, so that goes right along with your assessment. It's just an asking price, also.

The $115,000 740 coupe seems a bit steep. For that money, I think it should be a 745 and a couple of more judging points higher than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is also a 1929 640 coupe described to what I understand to be Class 2 condition at best, and they are asking $59,000, so that goes right along with your assessment. It's just an asking price, also.

The $115,000 740 coupe seems a bit steep. For that money, I think it should be a 745 and a couple of more judging points higher than that. </div></div>

For 115K that top better start coming down. I believe that 740 or even if it was a 745 is way over priced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree. In fact, Hyman has an unrestored 1934 Super Eight "coupe-roadster" that I'd sooner buy if I was playing with that kind of money. </div></div>

Looks like he sold it. I bet he had alot of wiggle room in that car's price also.