1939 Buicks with leather interiors!

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Well, after some serious deliberations, my father has decided to do the business coupe's interior in leather. What colors were available? The exterior color is sequoia cream. The car was bryce beige with mohair origionaly. Also, with the business coupes, what material was used in the compartment behind the seat? We would have got a Hampton Coach kit, but this stupid global financial meltdown has killed our dollar!

As always, thankyou in advance for any help!

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Oh, and if the car is leather, what's the situation with the windlace? There's some degree of urgency, as my father's friend has an upholstry shop, and the seat could well be done before Christmas!

Thanks guys.

Grant

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Grant:

Color choices in leather for 1939: Black, Brown, Grey, Green, Blue, Red and Cream.

In the same order they are trim codes 702 thru 708. There were also interiors with cloth and leather together. For example, trim code 792 is Tan Bedford cord wih red leather.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks for the nice comments! It was touch and go on the mohair/leather thing. I figured that since we weren't painting the car the origional color, we might as well go with a different interior and make a big liar out of the I.D. plate!I assume the windlace on leather cars was leather or a look-alike substitute. How about the head lining? Grey? Brown? The seat is being done this weekend, thanks to a friend of my fathers who has a furniture shop.

Front bumper arrive back from the platers today as well. She's all go!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveCorbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For example, trim code 792 is Tan Bedford cord wih red leather.

Regards, Dave Corbin </div></div>

That sounds interesting! How were the two combined? Seats in leather and door panels in cloth?

Cheers

Grant

One of my NZ assembled model 41 sedans has blue leather, the other brown. May be a different pattern and colour to USA built cars. Door panels of both cars are the same colour leather.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Grant:

How were the two combined? Good question !!

Answer:

Darned if I know !!! Usual practice would be leather on areas that got hard use, seats and backs, cord on the rest.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Grant Magrath

Actually, I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post, but our choice IS red leather! The seat should be finished by Monday. One very important thing though, windlace!!!!!!!

Leather as well? In the grand scheme of things, windlace is the first thing to go in when re-upholstering, so....... yeah!

Cheers

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Grant,

Here is a picture of a 41-56C I did a few years ago in Sequoia Cream with Red Leather. I got the interior from Hampton Coach as a kit and the color combination was striking. Hampton Coach actually used the car for their catalog cover a few years back.

Best of luck with your restoration.

post-49801-143138029981_thumb.jpg