Satellite radio install questions

Guest RattyOne

Guest RattyOne

I have XM Roady2 and was wondering if anyone has ever figured out how to connect the radio directly to the cassette player wiring.

Since my cassette player is broken anyway, I was thinking there must be a way to splice into the wiring harness so the XM output could go direct instead of through the cassette adapter.

RattyOne,

I hope you haven't begun cutting up your radio as yet. I've been running XM, Roady's and otherwise, in my Reatta (and other vehicles) for years.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Don't bother messing with your radio... go here and get this instead:</span>

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SA10112&main_cat=10&source=googleps

Basically wires your XM antenna directly into your car's antenna, deafeating the signal of any radio station you program your Roady to, so instead of static, you get clear stereo sound, regardless of local broadcasts. Trust me, it's worth every penny, if only for the headache it saves you.

i finished mine yesterday.i used the cord for hooking an ipod to a stereo and cut off the stereo end.using daniels links i soldered the ground wires to the black wire with a stripe and the other two wires to the wires per the forum.it works great with my xm radio.it works good with my ipod but won't get loud enough to rattle the windows[the xm has higher output power]i was going to hook it to the overriding input but i would have needed a plug to plug into the radio.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RattyOne

Finally got the adapter mentioned above - ONE IMPORTANT ISSUE: You need to get an antenna adapter cable from your local auto parts house. Mine came from Advance and is part # AT-ADGM. It has both the connectors you need. After that, there is a surprizing amount of room in the console area to place the unit. I velcro'd mine near the fuse holder. other than that - it works well blocking out the local off air FM's in the area.

Guest RattyOne

The XM piece came from E-Bay @$24.99, no shipping. The antenna cable adapters were about $15.00 from Advance Auto. Time to install was about 15 minutes actual, 1 hour total with visiting neighbors and general interruptions.

All I had to do was remove the passenger side panel of the console, pull the shifter knob and remove the shift indicator panel (it pops up and out - but be careful) then take out the ashtray. All in all these actions will expose the 4 screws that hold the top of the console in place. With the top removed you can get at the radio box and disconnect the antenna. The rest is "plug and play" and placement of the components.

I would have done the aux input. It would have cost like $10 for the parts and a half hour longer for the install. I am not knocking your install, I just think people who are looking to upgrade their music meadia in these cars are in fear of trying to install the aux input. The aux input is the best sounding way to add an additional audio device.

Guest RattyOne

D A N I E L - I must be one of those odd folks who did not do this for the music - wanted the talk and weather info. If music was the object, I agree with the aux input plan but this was more in my area of competence and since "ratty" is a daily driver, I did not take the time to delve further into the audio system.

I guess this thread is info for those who need more than one way to skin a cat. LOL

• 5 weeks later...

It also doesn't require any research, knowledge of the specific audio system in a vehicle, soldering, liability for damage to audio system, and is effective for most end users, who mostly want just to hear their device without localized interference. Also, for most audio shops, it's cheaper. They can hire employees with less experience and technical competence, as the hardest part is getting the dash open; no soldering and fears of cold solder joints.