Water Pump packing

HarryJ

I rebuilt the water pump on my 1932 Packard 900 during restoration. I finished the 10 yr effort this year and started using the car. The rebuild consisted of new bearings and new packing. The pump leaks some. How much is too much? Well it's far more than a few drops a day, more like a small puddle. Still, not so much that I can't use the car but I think it should be better than it is. I have removed the pump and dismantled it. The region where the packing is located on the impellor has some irregular wear and grooves in it. I measured the diameter and compared it to an unworn region. There is at most .005" wear on the shaft which I think was .675" in dia if I remember correctly. So the question is, is this too much wear to seal properly? If it is can the shaft be built up again and machined true or does one make a new shaft? or do you think I should just reassemble it and repack it and try again.

This was a very interesting thread and I suspect someone has the answer to these questions.

Howard

Hi Barry;

Yes it is an impregnated rope packing and I had replaced it during restoration. I can replace it again and give it a try but I thought I would ask if the experts thought that the .005" wear was too much. It seems like a small amount of wear to me and that I ought to be able to get a decent seal but I'm not an expert and obviously it leaks. Maybe I should just have added a bit more rope seal.

thanks,

Howard

Hi Barry;

Yes it is an impregnated rope packing and I had replaced it during restoration. I can replace it again and give it a try but I thought I would ask if the experts thought that the .005" wear was too much. It seems like a small amount of wear to me and that I ought to be able to get a decent seal but I'm not an expert and obviously it leaks. Maybe I should just have added a bit more rope seal.

thanks,

Howard

You're not really replacing it you're just adding to it. The more you can cram in the better it will seal. Now that you've used it a little you'll find there's room for more.

Howard, yes the shaft can be built up and then ground back to size. This scoring was a common automotive problem on power steering cylinders that were usually centered when driving forward thus being continually exposed to the road salt and water. The hydraulic cylinder repair shops in this area all do this service at a nominal and reasonable sum. For the readers wondering about this application, I don't think the shaft in question knows whether it is going around or sliding in and out of the housing. Hope this gives you some help.--Bob

Yes that is correct and I now wish I hadn't dug out what I already had in there. Now I will have to start the process all over again if I decide to reassemble it and give it another try. But if I do that I will now approach it with more knowledge than I had the first time around and just add more as I go along. I'm now leaning towards just reassembling it with new packing.

Howard

Hi Bob;

That's interesting that those shafts are resurfaced by hydraulic cylinder rebuild shops. I won't find one in Vincennes, IN but maybe I can find one in Evansville or Indianapolis for sure. I'll have to check that out.

thanks,

Howard

Petri..............you have gotten some good advice. A worn shaft will eat up/wear out water pump packing. The shaft needs to be welded over and turned down. Steel or brass will do for the build up. To adjust the packing ;run the car and tighten the packing nut while it is warm and running...........BE CAREFUL!...........safety first! Slowly tighten it until it stops leaking. Drive the car for a while and check the leak/drip again. Slowly tighten it again if it leaks.

Hi Harry;

I have repacked and reassembled the water pump without building up the shaft. I'm trying it one more time. So far it's much better, but still leaks some. I have tightened the nut after shutting off the engine; I haven't tried tightening it while running yet. Actually it's not leaking noticeably while running, I just have a small puddle the next day under the car. Like I said it's much better and if it doesn't get worse it's probably close to normal. The next time I decide to remove it I will see about having the shaft built up.

thanks,

Howard