looking to buy another reatta!

Guest kyo5

i looking to buy another reatta to replace my 1990 with 174k miles,

i just found these two near me they are both 89's

the 1st one is black with tan int and has 115k miles and is $4500

the 2nd one is an Burgundy with tan int, and aftermarket wheels and 93k miles and is also $4500.

do these sound like a good deal?

Sounds HIGH to me, I sold a pair of Reattas on ebay (1) 89 and (1) 90 both had over 130,000 miles in good condition and was only able to get $2600 for the pair. I have a 89 (Gray) with about 94,000 miles and would love to get $3000 for it.

I've just dropped the price of my '90 white coupe with under 79,000 miles to $3200, I really need the room!

I'm in Mesa, AZ. You can check the for sale section for "90 White coupe CA/AZ car" etc. I don't know where you live, but for the difference in price you could fly out and drive it home and still save money.

Have to remind people that CONDITION IS EVERYTHING once you get out about 20 years. It is possible (not likely but possible) for a car with 150,000 miles to be worth more than one with 50k.

Most of those surfacing on CraigsList and AutoTrader have not had easy lives. While they may look good at the curb, you have to "get out and get under" (song from the early 1900's) to see the real story (am spending a lot of time on my back with wirebrush and Rustolium cleaning away surface rust but then I am a fanatic).

The other part is removing and replacing repairs that were done wrong the first time and some of these can be quite time consuming.

I rarely sell a car because it usually take a year to get one to where I am satisfied and then maintenance is constant. (Still is less than a car payment).

Also my herd is limited to what fits in the garage(s). Many you see with For Sale signs are not garaged and most other parts of the country have less benign climates than Orlando.

Part of the problem is the American fixation on age with relation to value (probably a product of the rust belt)but suspect Reattas are near the bottom of the curve. Nothing unusual, if anything Reattas are holding value better than Allantes or Fieros.

Just when looking at a $1500 or $2000 car, don't expect to find everything working or even original.

The current economy is not helping values unless you are buying (paid less for the new vert than I did for my 88 in 2001, does need a bit more work but ggetting close on the major bits.

Point is that I have yet to buy a car that did not have a few surprises (including the occasional new car) so that expectation is built in. The Reatta is just capable of more surprises than most.

What I have found is that most cars have a certain fixed investment required. Right now for a coupe that is in the $3500-$4500 range. Pay less up front and you will pay more in the next six months.

Over the next 5-10 years, the weeding out process will continue until the bulk of the population will be the ones that have been cared for and the grade 4-5 cars (ones parked at the curb) will be mostly gone. Then the book prices of a nice example will start ramping up but not as long as some just use for transportation and consider then disposable.

Bottom line: a $1500 Reatta can easily cost more in the course of a year than a $3000 one, you just have to know what you are looking at (and expect surprises even then).

I agree with what Padgett said. I haven't advertised anywhere else but on this forum, I just don't want any tire kickers coming around. My problem is that I keep mine in a garage and a new car is coming, so I have to reduce my stock. Like Padgett said every car has small undiscovered problems, in particular the ones that I buy, I just have them repaired and figure that as part of the purchase price. I don't make money on cars because I repair things, "buy high, sell low", but that's life.

Jim Too

Guest steakneggs

Why are you replacing the one you have? Because of the high miles? Your selling a known quantity for an unknown. I would reconsider. Steak

Have high milage 88 that needs paint. Have fixed 97 percent of the major problems. I like the car but it needs paint real bad.........I can buy a nicer car for just what the paint along would cost. I think I am about over my 10 year love-hate affair with the Reatta,,,,,,,,,,still if I had stable room?????? As Padgett says. Soon only nice low garaged kept reattas will be left. There are just no sales for high milage fixer uppers like I have.......ken

Guest RuskinReatta

I made a post this evening but stopped short of the statement <span style="color: #FF6600">"I think I am about over my 10 year love-hate affair with the Reatta,"</span>I have been thinking about selling mine too. I haven't had to put hardly any money in it, they can just be such a pain in the butt sometimes. But it's also just so cool.

Jim R.

Guest steakneggs

When you can't sell a car, you go to plan B which is to run the wheels off of it. Right now is the best time to do that with an unwanted Reatta since gas prices are down. I believe the fed gov is going to see this as an opportunity to raise gas taxes, even creating a "floor" price that could be around $3. I read this column by Warren Brown of the Washington Post every week and he has proposed such a thing. It kind of makes sense but I hope it doesn't happen for awhile. Steak

i have three reattas one 89 has some rust with 104000 the other 89 has 125000 and my 90 has 73000 my 89 with 125000 is by far the best condition. it has had great care but there is a little rust underneath but not bad my 90 has 0 rust but the inteior has been not well taken care of it was a one owner before me.they all run great but it goes back to the condition of the body and interior. i love them all but i have to sell two of them i am torn between the one with 73000 and the one with 125000.i have learned alot by owning this many becuase u can make good compaisons by looking at them and knowing what u might look at to buy the next one or something simuliar i like the tofenos also

Guest Bill_Boro

Some one should come up with a Kit Car using an old Reatta body as a base. Maybe something using a new(er)RWD or AWD wreck as running gear.

While the smooth touring ride and the bullet proof 3800 V6 and obsolete High Tech running gear once had its place, the George Jetzon/Spacely Sprocket styling is timeless.

With a few styling tweeks the new custom could be mistaken for an early 60's Italian classic or a mid 60's Corvette concept car. I am not recommending using a low mileage cherry Reatta but it would be great to recycle a worn out example and save them from the crusher.