The WATER is getting inside !

dnt

Assuming the windows were all the way up.......

No there is not a common problem.

The side windows do tend to leak at the top front but seldom enough to make the carpet damp, unless you live somewhere it rains daily.

The windshied seldom leaks, but sometimes the back glass seal can fail, the water leaks behind the panels, runs under the package shelf and to the low spot under the seats. A lot of this can depend on where you park....is the front of the car high or low where you park? If the front is low, then the water tends to run forward, if the front is up or high then the water can run into the trunk and the mat back there will be damp.

Guest jamhudson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dnt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The carpet on the passenger side up on the firewall is getting wet with the associated odor problem. Is there a common culprit that should be examined first to try to resolve the source of the water leakage?

</div></div> Would that be a leaking heater core?

"The carpet on the passenger side up on the firewall is getting wet"

jamhudson's suggestion Above of a possible leaking heater core would seem more on track considering the location described.

I have leaking door weatherstrips, but the leak on both sides is at the TIP of the "stationary vent glass", and the leaks are visible on the door arm rests (near the control switches) and corners of the seats.

What would the procedure be to isolate or confirm a leaking heater sore?

EDIT:

"heater sore" smile.gif sorry.... heater core. What you get when you don't proof read frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamhudson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div> Would that be a leaking heater core?

I do not have the sweet anti-freeze smell that one would expect to have with a leaking heater core. It appears to be nothing more than water.

As you said, no sweet smell. If the wet spot doesn't feel oily, it's a pretty good bet it's not the heater core. Have a friend assist, and continue as Nic advised.

Guest steakneggs

Someone told me that a leaky heater core will fog up the inside of your windshield with a greasy film when the heater is on. And it smells like oatmeal. Never experienced it myself though. Steak

Guest simplyconnected

Again, dnt, I don't know what part of the country you live in, or what concentration of antifreeze you use. That "sweet" smell, sometimes caused by a hairline crack under pressure, comes from about a 50/50 concentration of antifreeze. Between the crack and the coolant pressure, a foggy atomized mist will usually come out your ducts. It sticks to your glass (and everything else), and it is hard to clean off your windshield.

You may have a larger leak. Do you notice your coolant level is low, or are you supplementing? When I suspect coolant, I usually taste it. It tastes sweet. If it isn't sweet, it's rain water or A/C condensation drain.

If it isn't any of the above, start checking your cowl top for rust holes. You can use a bucket of very soapy water:

Roll up all your windows and turn your heater blower on HIGH. Close all your doors and splash soapy water all over your windshield (from the outside). Watch for either bubbles, or soapy water creeping in. (Soapy water tastes like soap.)

You don't describe the odor at all. Is it mold, from being wet for so long?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: simplyconnected</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again, dnt, I don't know what part of the country you live in... Do you notice your coolant level is low...

If it isn't any of the above, start checking your cowl top for rust holes....

You don't describe the odor at all. Is it mold, from being wet for so long?

</div></div>

I am from Michigan, 50/50 mix. The coolant level is maintaining without my adding. I will check the cowl top for rust holes--good idea. The smell I am getting is moldy.

Thanks.