rear defogger

rsmith143

I have a 70 cutlass with rear defogger (blower,not heated glass). The reproduction harnesses are for the heated glass and american autowire,fusick and brothers automotive can provide no info as to the wiring. Car has the 2 speed switch next to the heater blower switch and the blower assy in the rear but when i got the car, most wiring was mutilated or missing. Any idea on how to hook it up? No help from my service manual. Thanks in advance.

Mark

I've looked thru every service manual I have from 1964-1975 and I can't find a wiring diagram with wire colors etc. for the blower type defogger. Most years don't even give any diagnosis procedures for it, but they sure trumpet about the 69-later electric grid units.

I DO have a 73-75 blower type laying loose, but it's 20 miles from here. Give me a few days to get out there and look it over. Pretty sure wiring colors didn't change on these things over the years, just location of the switch and maybe the type of connector.

Not sure if this pic will help or not, but it might save Glenn a 20 mile trip!

This rear defogger was in a 69 Olds 98 I parted out 5 years ago. Black grounded to the body. Red wire to purple wire. Can't remember where the purp;e wire went to. The 98 and Cutlass might have a different color code, but thought I would give it a shot.

Tom

post-33014-143138022207_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I figured this but at the switch 4 wires are involved. 1 should be maybe the power feed from the fuse box acess. 1 jumper from the brown wire feeding the heater control. The other 2 are maybe for the 2 speeds. But only one wire coming from the blower? Factory assembly manual shows the plug with the jumper wire but not where the other wiring is going off to. And you're right.....I wouldnt want someone to make a special trip for somthing like this. After 27 years of working on cars, This makes me feel kinda stupid. But hey. Thanks badger.

• 4 weeks later...