Gas Tank Cleaning Etc.

EdZeppelin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdZeppelin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> reasonable gas gauge with float for my 1923 Coupe? </div></div>That should cover what it is. EdZeppelin, do a search on this forum. This question comes up often, there are several differant ways to clean a tank. They probably ALL work. I've used acetone and lots of water to flush the crud out. If the gears are shot there was just a suggestion for replacements a few weeks ago for RC rear end gears. I bought a set and they will easily adapt. Tom and Cindy Myers Dodge Parts have gears too.

You can always do what I just did for my '26 sedan. I cut an 8" x 32" section out of my tank and scraped the sludge out with a putty knife then hit it with a wire wheel!! haha What a pain in the rear that was! I had to do it that way because of the entire section being so thin from corrosion. It wasn't easy to have the replacement piece welded back in. After it was welded I soldered over the entire seam to seal all the pin holes. I've been one of the people Chocolate is referring to when he said that this subject comes up a lot! smile.gif I'm going with their suggestions and am going to seal the tank with the POR-15 tank sealing kit for around $75.

Here's a link to the R/C car gears Chocolate mentioned in case you don't have a good hobby shop around you, hope this helps! http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=DTXC4137&search=Go

OK, thanks for the advice. The tank is off the car, 23 DB Business Coupe. I'll opt for not cutting into it, and try Acetone first, since I have it. Then if it needs further cleaning and sealing, I'll look locally for POR-15 products, but I imagine I'll probably have to order online. Fuel gauge is there, but rust covered in the tank. Float seems to be stuck in the goop at the bottom. The face and needle are pretty well disintegrated.

No problem, just copy the link you want to post and paste it in your reply. That's all there is to it smile.gif

Here's a link to a complete fuel gauge from Meyer's it's $125 http://www.myersearlydodge.com/images/MVC-307F.JPG

If you've never been to their site before it's www.meyersearlydodge.com

Under the fuel section they have more gauge parts too. I like this gauge, but it's not the kind my tank has. Mine is just a simple one piece float/needle. That is, the float is on one end of the rod and the other end is bent into the needle. I hit it with a brass wire brush and removed some of the funk. I can make out the level marks now. I may just change it to this style gauge.

Por 15 has a product called marine clean. I never seen anything eat the crap out of a tank like that stuff.. 1 Quart of it with 1 quart of boiling water and the inside of the tank shines like new.. I left it soak for a whole day and evertime I thought of it I agitated it. worked great! and it is included with the tank restoration kit..