wood spoke wheels

bigvic

Just curious as to what you mean by "shabby?" Is the wood deteriorated, grayed, peeling finish, cracked? Is it something that sandpaper can restore? Wood restorers use oxalic acid where the acid dissolves away a layer of dry surface wood to expose fresh material underneath. Perhaps a careful combination of sandpaper and this oxalic acid would do some good whilst keeping your original stripes. Good luck with it.

This subject is coming up at a very opportune time. I am trying to clean my '30 Roadster wheels. They were primed in a tan color, then painted red, then black. I have bead blasted them pretty clean, but, now, I want to keep the wood 'natural color', which is now very clean and nice. The big problem seems to be the huge amount of masking to paint the metal, and not get paint on the wood, or, vice versa. Any shortcuts anybody, thanks, Paul

Since you'd be top-coating some areas that already have a varnish, I'd hesitate to recommend a 2-part epoxy because it would most likely be incompatible with your existing finish. I have been really impressed with Varathane's exterior (UV resistant) water-based polyurethane. You'll need to sand the existing wood and finish enough to remove any oxidation and to scuff the old finish. This stuff will brush on as well as spray and it looks like skim milk. It will dry clear fairly quickly. The bad part is that it will raise the grain of raw wood. So, you go in after the first coat dries and sand of the "fuzz" that has raised. Then at least two more coats.

I used this stuff on window stools where it is exposed to sunlight. It shows no deterioration after about 7 yrs and counting. Water based polyurethanes actually polymerize when exposed to oxygen and form a very tough finish. Depending on what you're looking for as far as finished looks go, the water based material will leave much less of a wet look than oil-based.

You could use oil-based spar polyurethane (I like the ZAR brand) but my experience is that it has a tendency to delaminate at crack areas. It does leave that wet look though.

I hope this helps,

Joel