Another key question

Profyrfyter

Ok, my locksmith has made a key for my ignition cylinder but he just called me and asked "how far" the key should be able to turn. He said that the key can only turn approximately 1/4 turn, is that normal operation? The light lever will turn its full range of motion. Does the key simply complete the ignition circuit or does it actually start the vehicle like modern vehicles?

Thanks

Dave

Both of my cars just turn about 1/4th turn

From about the 10 o'clock position to about the 2 o'clock position. this just complete's the ignition circuitand then you have to push the starter button on the floor to start the engine.

What year and model is your car?

can you send a picture of the new key?

I need some made too and would like to see his work

Thanks, Mark

I have a 1926 DB Sedan. I don't have the new key yet, but when I get it back I'll be happy to post a picture. I dropped the cylinder off this morning and he already has a key cut for it. So let me get this all straight, the key simply completes the ignition circuit so I'll have to turn the light lever to the run position then and use the starter button on the floor? How do I then turn the engine off, simply move the key to the off position?

Sorry for the ignorance smile.gif

I just turn the key to the right and then hit the starter button on the floor. and it starts.

when I WANT TO KILL THE ENGINE I just turn the key from the right to the left or from the 2 o'clock position to the 10 o'clock position ant the engine turns off.

I don't have to turn the light lever at all. Uless I am turning in the lights. My cars are earlyer so maybe it's different. 1916 and 1923

The light switch is only for the lights. The key turns on the ignition and you press the starter switch on the floor. The key does not have a "start" position like modern cars. Then turn key off to kill engine. They work independent of each other.