Ever hear of Courtney's in NYC?

Guest virgilmule

Guest imported_virgilmule

I know this is a long shot, but...

The ignition key on my '30 Marmon is stamped "Courtney's" and "530 W. 125th". My guess is NYC, but I really don't know for sure. Does anyone out there have any memory of such a place? Was it a car dealership? A hardware store? Any help - or possible leads - would sure be appreciated!

I googled "530 W. 125th". I found this page of locksmith publications. Apparently in the early 1930s there was a major locksmith (Master Locksmith) located at that address in NYC. It was large enough at the time to have it's own periodical publication.

The location is 2 blocks or less from both Columbia University and C.U.N.Y. (City College), and about 3 block from the Apollo Theater.

I googled the address, and it looks like it was a lock company in New York City.

http://www.wclca.net/books.htm

Master Locksmith, The Master Locksmith Corp., 530 W. 125th St., New York

April 1931 Nov/Dec 1931

May 1931 Mar/Apr 1932

June 1931 May/Jun 1932

Sept 1931

Thank you all VERY much for your input. Now my assumption is that "Jezebel" was purchased new from a Marmon dealer in NYC. My next step is to track down NYC Marmon dealers from that era.

This is almost as much fun as restoring the old girl!

Following up on your leads, it turns out that Charles Courtney was an internationally known locksmith, who was beckoned all over the world to open locks. There was even a book written about his life.

This is all so incredibly fascinating! Thank you again to all who started me down this road!