Need Help With Radio

Guest BMBLBE

Guest BMBLBE

On our way to Flint, Fran attempted to change the time and now it displays LOC instead of the time and the radio will not power on. Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

I have noticed that when the battery has been disconnected all clock and radio settings have been reset to factory defaults. Also applies to trip computer etc.

Try disconnecting the battery first?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Fix the root cause first or it will happen again:

1 Buy her a nice new watch.

2 Ask her not to play with the buttons any more.

Does LOC stand for lock? Might try pulling the radio fuse rather than disconnecting the battery and see if it resets. Did the 90s have a radio with the built in security feature?

Guest BMBLBE

First I tried removing the fuse and then the battery. Disconnecting the battery did the trick.

In June of 2003 the Buick dealer replaced the radio. Buick recently claimed it is supposedly a rebuilt unit for the Reatta. I will be calling them back to cancel my appointment for Tuesday.

As far as Fran, I have been trying to get her to quit pushing my buttons for years. So that will not be as easy of a fix.

Thanks for all your help.

Roy I sounds like it is a radio from a newer gm model. My 99 Malibu has an anti theft that I could set a code on and if anybody removed it from the car it would show LOC. I never set the code because I would not remember it but you may look into that. Good Luck.

Bee Carefull

Booreatta in Kansas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMBLBE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I tried removing the fuse and then the battery. <span style="color: #FF0000">Disconnecting the battery did the trick.</span>

</div></div>

Guest Mc_Reatta

A link to a site that describes the various locking features of GM radios:

Radio Security

Instructions on how to unlock a GM radio from the CarReview.com Forums > Car Audio:

[Originally Posted by kdunville

Try this, it worked for my 1998 Sunfire and a 1975 Monte Carlo.

Press & hold the 2 & 3 buttons @ the same time for about 10 seconds; a 2 or 3 digit code will appear, write this # down,press & hold the am/fm button for about 10 seconds: another code will appear, write this # down, then call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again. Enter this # into your radio following the instructions in your owners manual. If you get an override code that starts with 0, you drop the 0 when entering the code into your radio.

If you don't have an owners manual, try this, press & hold the hour button until the first 2 digits of your code come up, then press & hold the minute button until the last 2 digits show. Then press the am/fm button. This should reset your stereo. It did mine.

Hope you find this helpful.]

Don't believe that stock Reatta radios used a locking system, but if stock radio has been replace this information may come in handy.

Also don't know why disconnecting the battery fixed this problem since that's what usually starts the lock problem. Possibly the process to enter a locking code was started inadvertently, and it stayed in the radio's volatile memory, but was never saved to the non-volatile memory. When the battery was disconnected, the volatile memory was dumped, and when power was restored the radio no longer was looking for that code so didn't go into lock mode again.