thoughts on a 51 Imperial

bebop138

I have an opportunity to get a 51 Imperial 2DR hardtop, needs the whole interior redone, it`s missing the radiator but the Hemi engine seems complete. Pass-rear fender looks rough and missing the tailight assy. Car seems solid and straight. Needs rechoming, rocker mouldings are gone along with the gravel shields. My question is this a low production car and are parts hard to find? The car came from Utah and appears to have very little rust. Thanks.......52er

Guest simplyconnected

I think the real question should be, are you passionate about this car? If you're looking to flip this Imperial, you will lose your A$$. But if this car really brings you a lot of fond memories or other joys, it is well worth every cent you spend, and every minute you work on it.

Every car I restore needs new chrome, sheet metal work, engine work, paint, glass, spears, etc. Unless I have that passion to see the car finished, I may take forever to get it done.

It`s the Diecast chrome on these Imperials that will drain alllllll of your money if you decide to rechrome. The chrome used was very poor quality "Korean" chrome. I have a 52 NewYorker and have after 15 years have finally come to the end of sucessfully finding all NOS diecast grille and fender/stonesheild pieces. Cost a lot on E-Pay and else where! If you like the car a lot go for it. Hardtop bodies are the same as a convertible bodies so cowl/door body parts/chrome are very highly sought after.

Bob

I am well aware of the cost on the pot metal and other related items. I have pics on the site of my 52 Windsor and the chrome was a major expense $$$$$$$$$. The looks of the Imperial and the challange of bringing another one back from the dead and not to the crusher interests me. I always like to do low production cars too. Thanks for the input.....52er

• Like 1

Guest simplyconnected

Chrysler put their heart into the Imperial, making it their flag ship. I absolutely love to see an old Imperial. IMHO, Chrysler initiated their own engineering, producing gorgeous, unique cars, that stood apart in every respect from the competition. They didn't copy anyone, from torsion bar suspension to pushbutton TorqueFlite trannies, to 426 Hemi's. All fine innovations, often copied but never duplicated. 52er, I agree with and congratulate you for your not letting another Chrysler feed the crusher. - Dave

52er,

You may have noticed a seller I believe in Kansas has an ad on Imperial Club On-Line selling - for $5000 - a 1951 Imperial Convertible, a 1951 Imperial 2 door hardtop, and scores of parts. He sent me 6 photos of the 2 cars and walls of fenders and trim, enough to build these two cars & have parts left over.

He will sell this collection soon, as it is rare to find an early 50's Imperial convertible. Well, they only made them in 1951.

I dug out my Collectible Automobile (June 1998) that featured the 1949-52 Chryslers. I have poured over this issue because, despite boxy, poorly received styling, these Chryslers & Imperials totally fascinate me.

I looked at a 1950 New Yorker Club Coupe in solid, restorable condition just 60 miles away from me in central Iowa, about 7 years ago for $1800. I passed on it. (Dumb) Production 3,000 and the last year for the mighty Straight 8.

I think this era of Chryslers/Imperials offers the collector a chance at something old/something new. The 50 Club Coupe New Yorker with that last year straight 8, an aging but dignified body style in the Club Coupe fixed B pillar form could have been combined with a 1951 to 1954 New Yorker or Imperial Newport 2 door hardtop with the Hemi and power accessories to create a cool 1-2 punch.

I ran into a wealthy Mopar collector in Nebraska once when I went to look at his 55 Imperial 2 door hardtop for sale. He had at least 50 Mopars worth over $2,000,000. I believe his name was Terry Hoeman and he was a genuinely nice guy (as was his wife) but my point is most of us will never be in a position to choose from 50 plus cars, or just go sit in them for that matter.

So this Imperial offering in Kansas really has got my juices going. Here you could restore 2 cars at once, different bodies, same year and have that "theme" Once done, (I'm 44 years old) I (or you/a person) could enjoy them and show them for 30 plus years. And not have to keep looking and adding. I am getting to the point where I realize I won't have that 50 car collection smile.gif I will have to live vicariuosly through other cars I see at shows!

I always look for themes in a collection, so this seller (the one in Kansas with a 51 Imperial Convertible/Newport) and what he has really got me going. Wouldn't it be cool to have a matching convertible and 2 door hardtop? Conservative dark green with tan interior or dark blue with blue leather?

I remember everything old car related and I had a Salvage Yard book that featured a photo of a "rare" 1951 Imperial Newport 2 door hardtop, so that prompted me to do the research into the rarity of this model. Chrysler and most manufacturers combined production in1951-1952 but my book guesstimates the 1951 production at 2174 Imperial 2 door hardtops and for the convertible, no guess is needed as it was not made in 1952. Production for 1951 was 650.

Ultimately I do not collect for rarity. But it never hurts. The previous posters are correct. A correctly restored 1951 Imperial convertible will bring $40,000 to $75,000. The 2 door hardtops will get lost on the majority of collectors, even Mopar collectors, who will more readily go for the Forward Look cars. The 3 box styling, even in Newport form, is not a big draw.

I smiled when I read the comment about the chrome costing $$$$. I sent my 54 New Yorker Newport taillamp housings to Paul's Chrome for an estimate. I wanted them to see them in person. They were badly pitted. Estimate $550 for just the two taillamp housings! Now, I am sure that's reasonable but you can see that it's means making tough decisions about restoring cars, espcially anything that's not a popular model. It would have been no problem with deep pockets to put $50,000 to $60,000 into my 54 New Yorker two door hardtop, but in pristine condition it's worth, what? Maybe $20,000.

Tough tough call on the 51 Imperial Newport 2 door hardtop. In my opinion, if you can see this as a signature car in your collection, if you can own it for years in restored condition, extracting every last ear to ear smile out of a crisp early October pleasure drive and explaining to folks what it is at a July car show filled with muscle cars and street rods - then I say go for it!

I just sold everything I had because I am facing a divorce and change in lifestyle. I took out a generous 401k loan for non car toys last spring, so I only have a $500 nest egg. I think GOD does this to me (just kidding) because I have looked for a unique car project for years. I looked for a 1951 Imperial convertible for years.

I have had well over 100 old cars and have never restored one. I just keep buying projects and losing interest and selling. I kept going between the drive them daily 60's and 70's to the older stuff. I would package cars in a theme, then my wife and I would get in a fight and I woudl sell everything, get some hope again & start over, usually in a different direction. (Side note: spousal support and involvement is HUGE in this hobby)But I kept trying. I had a 54 New Yorker Newport 2 door hardtop out of South Dakota once. It was that turquise color with black top. I had a 36 Airflow. My last 5 cars, sold within the last year, did not include Chrysler products.

I vascillate between buying old cars that can be comfortably driven on modern roads (read: from the 60's and 70's) and totally non essential or practical "old" cars from the 20's to 50's, purchased for their artistic and pleasurable merit.

I have decided to put my remaining $500 aside for this 1951 Imperial "package" but I know practically speaking, it will be sold before I can secure enough funds to make an offer. I am 44 years old, so once things settle down in the economy and my personal life, I am hopeful I will be able to pursue my old car hobby. I have found there are always cool old cars for sale, as projects.

I saw a beautiful 1938 Imperial 4 door sedan, fully restored - on the AACA Buy?Sell forum further up on this page, for $18,000. What a bargain! A 1938 C19 that needs nothing for $18,000? Most correct 30's era Chrysler restorations cost $40,000 to do correctly. Again, practically speaking this is a much more sane decision then undertaking a restoration today.

However, if you have the right price on this Imperial, I would go for it. Initial cost is huge, as others have noted, the cost for some restorations is actually regressive, leaving many on the side of the road not doing what could have been done 20 years ago in a guy's garage.

I recently sold my last old car, a 1949 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette, completely disassembled - for $1500 on ebay. I had $2300 in it. I had disassembled it, removed the body by use of a wooden buck, then got into the personal problems with the wife and working 60 hours per week, just to get a little further behind. I can do all the disassembly and assembly and such myself, but can't weld, do upholstery or chrome.

I have partially restored several cars to running/driving condition, and owned some "drivers" that I maintained.

These early 50's Imperials (especially Imperials) were hot beds for Chrysler introductions of the power accessories that became commonplace by the late 50's. Power steering, electric (not hydraulic) window lifts.

If you have not already done so, that Imperial On Line Club website is a GREAT tool for Imperial lovers. Despite my broad interests in old cars - the Imperials hold a special place to me. Whether the re-badged but upscale Imperials form the 30's through 1956 or the specific division cars - I wish I could have an Imperial only collection from the 1937 C17 Airflow to the 1973 "Fuselage" LeBaron 2 door hardtop.

Of course I have rambled on far too long and lost a host of readers by now, but I find the commentators on the Chrysler forum here don't give their cars as much credit as other forums. We need more photos and comments. I am glad for what is here, don't get me wrong, but these old Chryslers are very cool and I would love to see more owners cars and comments.

I hope you get your Imperial, and if by some very, very remote chance I get this 51 Imperial package, you are welcome to any of my overage parts - as this guy literally had about 10 front fenders, rear fenders, trim, engines, etc.

• 11 years later...