1924 Dodge Brothers Touring Top Question

Guest lmccoll

In reassembling my dad's 24 touring (we are almost done!), I have a question about the touring top.

Right now, there are several, about a dozen or so, nickel plated or stainless screw connectors for lack of a better word that go around the outside of the car, near the top of the sheet metal in the back. The top has metal grommets that fit over the connectors and you twist the connectors to fasten the top firmly.

My question is this, are these connectors original or have they been added in the past? Also, what is the wood tack strip for around the top of the body behind the back seat? I couldn't find any pictures anywhere that shows much detail of the top.

Pictures of what is correct would be great.

Thanks for any help,

Larry

The strip you refer to is called a tack strip. Even modern convertibles use them. It mounts to the body and then the back seat upholstery goes over the strip and is tacked to it. The top material then goes over the upholstery material and is tacked to the tack strip. I use a modern plastic tack strip on my cars and then use stapples instead of tacks.

The fittings you describe are original and they can serve three purposes. On some cars they anchor the cornor of the top, they are also what your side curtain attaches to and they are used when you put a boot over the lowered top. Have a nice Hereshey day.

Jan

I too appreciate the photos as I am trying to sort a 1919 Touring. I have similar type fasterners along the sides and two up front but the top itself is tacked in.

So my questions are if that is correct for my year.

I also noticed your touring (Big Mark) that you have top saddles. I have been told by several that in 1919 saddles were not available. Did you add yours? I would like to add some to mine, but don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on these topics.

Guest lmccoll

Mark, thanks so much for the pictures, it does help. My fasteners look just like those. I don't suppose you know anyone that makes repos, I could use one or two new ones, but I may be able to repair the ones I have.

I don't have an up close picture of the back right now, but here is our car.

post-54305-143138008862_thumb.jpg

Larry,

You might try an automotive upholstery shop, a shop that specializes in convertible tops or a marine supply store.

I just checked and found four brass swivel fasteners from my '16 only one of which is probably correct for your car. The other three are somewhat smaller.There are also seven original brass screws. If you want them, I'll be happy to send them to you.

Bill