Growl and Vibration when turning Left

BillN

Hi,

I have a 1990 Reatta Conv, with 86K on it.and am experiencing a cyclical vibration in the floor and seat, whenever I turn the wheel the least bit to the left. If I turn it to the right it immediately goes away. More noticeable at 70 mph, but there at all speeds, and a little worse warmed up than cold.

Any ideas the cause? The struts and mounts were just changed, and the steering rack inspected, and found ok.

Bill

Sounds like a wheel hub\bearing to me. I'd also consider a tire problem, maybe a busted belt, rotating the tires might give some insight. I guess cv joints might also be a possibility but they pretty much present problems by making clicking sounds in a low speed turn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike_s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a wheel hub\bearing to me. I'd also consider a tire problem, maybe a busted belt, rotating the tires might give some insight. I guess cv joints might also be a possibility but they pretty much present problems by making clicking sounds in a low speed turn. </div></div>

I think mike is right on target with his diagnosis of wheel bearing or tire problem. Probably a front wheel bearing since turning makes a difference. You might be able to detect an abnormal amount of heat from one wheel after driving for an extended period at higher speeds.

My experience is that it is a wheel bearing. If only there when turning left then it is probably the right front wheel.

Not difficult if you have the right tools and the hub/bearing is available from FLAPS - I have been getting Timkens from AZ.

Only thing odd is that the original dust shield mounted from the back so needs to be cut off if not planning to taking everything loose but the replacement is driven in from the front.

ps I may be in the market for a 'vert, what is out there ?