Finishing an aluminum engine block

Guest EShepard

Guest EShepard

I am currently restoring an early truck that has an engine with an aluminum crankcase. The crankcase has been dipped to remove grease etc. My question is what is the best method to finish the crankcase? Information I have indicates that the aluminum was not originally painted.

Thanks

You can, and probably should, paint the inside with red Glyptal. I believe Franklin did that with their later engines. It seals the pores of the aluminum and improves oil flow. Glyptal is available from Eastwood.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2298&itemType=PRODUCT

Guest Steve_Wilson

I've done quite a few restorations on aluminum engine components and have used Green Loctite on all the inside areas. It permeates into and casting flaws and seals the surfaces of the castings . It does not color the aluminum in any way and makes external surfaces easier to clean once cured. After brushing on the surface I wipe away any excess with a clean wipe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_oldmitchell

Glyptal on the inside, aluminum spray paint on the outside, followed by several coats of automotive clear coat with a non gloss additive. This seals the block from both sides and seems to very closely duplicate the original finish.