CHIPS at Fall AutoFair

TG57Roadmaster

Just got back from the Fall Charlotte AutoFair where I presented a program loosely titled, "Collecting Miniature Cars." It comes from my perspective of the lifelong pursuit of automobilia, and how it has served me well for nearly 45 years. If we want to attract youngsters to the hobby, it can't hurt to add an Automobilia CHIP to the program, since it's how I got my start at age seven with my first Matchbox Series car, a well played with '58 Fleetwood shown below. There were cars from Argentina, Portugal, Israel, the former USSR, England, and of course, China, but in that part of the hobby, it's just the tip of a very vast iceberg.

CHIPS_08_6.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/566/CHIPS_08_6.jpg (Click once after opening to enlarge)

AACA HNR Youth Development Program Director John Reynolds and his assistant Lynda Oelz relax before the "tempest." The display included a smattering of many eras, scales, materials, etc. (with an emphasis on 1/43rd, my personal favorite), with models produced in many countries. The beater '28 Lincoln model (far right, built for my Grampa at age 12) was used to illustrate various parts of an old car. The hood, body, and fenders all come off to reveal a surprizingly detailed chassis. The el cheapo boxed Road Signatures '69 Corvair was included to urge the kids to save their boxes. At least their parents paid attention to that tip.

CHIPS_08_3.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/566/CHIPS_08_3.jpg

The jargon sheet from the UK's "Die-cast Collector" magazine may have been a bit over the youngsters' heads at this time, but hopefully they'll keep it long enough to learn something. It's a glossary full of explanations of "die-cast, white metal, mint-boxed," etc. We started with a replica cast-iron Model T, followed by a '47 Buick (attributed to Hubley) and so on; sort of a short discourse on the history and methods of construction of toy cars. Even little plastic F&F Post Cereal freebies from the '50's were included. Threatening hurricane weather never materialized, but it kept the crowd down to four youngsters; for my first run, I was fairly relieved.

CHIPS_08_4.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/566/CHIPS_08_4.jpg

You'll likely think me quite mad (there were lots of $$$$ on that table!), but I promised the kids they could handle all the models during the presentation. They happily obliged. Here they're scoping out a very nice '49 Ford promo made of early plastic, probably by AMT.

CHIPS_08_1.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/566/CHIPS_08_1.jpg

The scales ranged from the 1/12th '67 Mustang I got for Christmas in '66 down to a Micro Machine '55 Bel Air post. It didn't take long for them to reduce my nice linear arrangement to a jumbled mess, but happily there were no accidents. They learned to hold certain models correctly, and the only damage, loads of tiny fingerprints, easily wiped clean before the models went back to their "garage." They were very respectful of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">my</span></span> toys, and gleefully chimed in the conversation.

CHIPS_08_2.jpg

http://photos.aaca.org/data/566/CHIPS_08_2.jpg

Overall it was a pretty nifty (if somewhat harrowing) experience done under controlled conditions with plenty of parents to keep the little ones in line. I tried to use models with few appendages (hood ornaments, door handles, mirrors) because they're delicate and easily breakable. Of particular interest here in NASCAR Country was RC's Richard Petty #43 Plymouth Superbird, which the kids had seen (the real 1:1 car) at the nearby Petty Museum.

The four models at top (from left) were borrowed from my buddies Dave and John, and Dave's neighbor Doris, and many thanks for their use. All photos I'm in were taken by Lynda's husband, Michael Oelz. As much as I wanted to have a resin model for their perusal (I don't have any), I wisely left Dave's French-made Provence Moulage '53 Caddy Derham Limo in its display case (value when new, $395; on today's market, likely more than $1,200)!

We'll save that and his expensive Motor City 1947 Town & Country (top up, similarly priced) for the program's presentation at one of the Hornets Nest Region's monthly meetings for the grown-ups. Word's already gotten around, and they want their own showing!

Automobilia is a fast-growing part of the hobby that's affordable for most kids on lawn-mowing or babysitting budgets. Focus on the little stuff, easily displayed in a child's room; that big Mustang cost $9.95 back in '66 when Dad put it under the tree, and it's current cost (around $300) puts it out of reach for many collectors, young or old. But the neat orange Hot Wheels 2009 Dodge Hemi Challenger I saw on sale for 99 cents at the grocery store a few days ago is tomorrow's must-have collectible. Its value will increase only if it's maintained in pristine condition, so buy two; keep one in the blister pack, and play with the other one like crazy!

Happy sharing,

TG

What a great idea. I have collected all kinds of vehicles in all sizes also. I still wish I had not given the factory model of the Turbine car to the neighbor kid. frown.gif My father got to drive a real Turbine car when he was City Editor of our local evening paper. They gave him a model car as a memento. I went away to college and gave it away not knowing how interested I would become in cars.

Hopefully I will get to see this display someday.

Good job. smile.gif

That is how I started many, MANY years ago in the middle 50's with the 4 set of revell models, 56 ford, chrysler, mercury, and buick. I don't see those around even on ebay any more. I really regret letting my mother give those models away to some kid. I customized all of them. I was one of the first kids in my area to make use of plastic wood for body parts. I molded a grille casing on the 56 ford and put a floating bar grille in it. the finish was a bit rough(did not sand the plastic wood smooth enough before painting). Had lots of fun doing the mods though. Now I have meager collection of 1/18th, 1/24th, and 1/32nd scale cars. I don't have the patients to do the fine work anymore but if I could find those 56 revell models un-assembled, still in the box i might give it a try.

Thank for the pictures it brough back a lot of memories.

For a change I might make you happy! grin.gif AACA is combining forces with Revell to bring back old kits! Revell has most of their old tooling and they have been identifying what is usable and what is not. We have many new cool ideas for our "new" AACA Heritage Series so stay tuned. Revell is a great company to work with and we hope to introduce a whole new group of young people to these old kits and also make them available to us big kids! Details aren't final but you will be hearing from us in the near future!

Alk,

Around the 10th grade (1972) I made this '49 Merc Custom by filling in the front fenders with plastic wood, and used '68 Corvair headlights with a "customizing" grille.

49_Merc_Custom_2.jpg

The top boot came from a '63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL; both were AMT kits.

49_Merc_Custom_4.jpg

It's one of only two models from back then that I still have.

How exciting to have a new range of AACA kits available!

TG