Passing of a legend

Guest BillP

Phil Hill died this morning at age 81 from Parkinson's disease. The first American Formula One champion, Hill went on after racing to found Hill & Vaughan, a high-end classic auto restoration shop. He was considered an expert on early Packards. He also wrote extensively for such publications as Road & Track.

One of the finest ambassadors of the car world ever. I'm terribly saddened by his passing.

His 1931 Pierce Arrow LeBaron convertible sedan was the first Classic to win Best of Show at Pebble Beach in 1955, probably helping to create the mystique and attraction that Full Classics have today. Before Phil Hill, Pebble Beach typically awarded Best of Show to relatively new custom creations and his entry caused a fundamental shift in the collector car world, bringing the Full Classics into prominance. I believe the car was (and still is) in his family since new.

He will be sorely missed.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080828/FREE/808289993/1065

I spoke to him a couple of times in recent years about Locomobiles. He owned one and had done some engineering to increase engine power. He also machined some high-speed rear-end gears in years past. He was quite helpful, and other Loco owners told me that no one could catch him on the highway. He was in fact a legend -- for both his fabulous racing career, and his contributions to the hobby. His Pierce was displayed at Pebble about three years ago.