LOOKING for a FAST FOUR open Touring

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mark, are you sure you know the difference between a "fast 4" and the other 6 volt engines? I ask only because I don't know what you know. The "fast 4" or 124 /128 engine was only in the very latest 1927 cars known as 124 models in the last 3 months of 27 production and in 1928 as the 128/129 models (128 had 19" wheels, 129 had 21"). These engines have 4 point mounts, distributor through the head, seperate intake and exhaust manifolds on the right side, single disc clutch, different tranny, splined instead of square coupling on the driveshaft/ujoint, 27 having parking brake on rear wheels like earlier cars, and 28 having a couple different setups, one of them having a brake band on the back of the tranny. 27 had closed driveline, 28 had open drive.

Earlier 27's and late 26 had 6 volt engines that were 3 point mount like the 12volt engines but had seperate starters and generators. 1st ones were 3 main bearing, later were 5 main.

So a 27 124 fast 4 touring would be quite rare (did they make them?) and I do not know about 28 if they made 128/129 tourings as the 4 was on its way out. They did not make 28 128/129 4 cyl roadsters for sure, only cabriolets.

I am pretty sure the "fast 4" engine was used in some trucks too.

That's more than I can dijest. I was hopeing to find an open touring car with a fast four engine because I want to tour at seeds greater then 35 mph. I thought the 5 main bearings would make for a more speed. Is that correct?

I can't take my 16 on tours because it can't keep up with the cars from the 20's and 30's

What are the last and fastest 4 door touring cars that Dodge Brothers made?

Thanks for all the info Dave

Guest oldodgeboys

Do you have the book 'Standard Catalog of American Cars'? Big book covers <span style="text-decoration: underline">every</span> amercan car made (yes, every). All the details you need to do research. Highly recommend it.

My buddy John has a 25 DB touring that is a 3 main engine, runs 45 all day long, runs 50 easy and 55 is not a stretch. I run my 22 DB screenside at those speeds, have for years. The 16 I believe has slightly smaller bearings and crank and probably lower gear ratio, however the the tires are a little smaller diameter on later cars.

Guest imouttahere

Dave Wollam, you really know your stuff. I had forgotten all the differences between the drivetrains of a "single unit" 6-volt car and that of a later "two unit" Fast Four. Maybe it is just not feasible to swap drivetrains over from a late car to an earlier one. Just the difference between 3 and 4 engine mounts would give me pause.

My town has a very active "Model A" touring group, and Big Mark is right: you can't really keep up with them in a DB. While it is true that you can eventually get your DB to go fast enough on level ground, the As accelerate so much faster that they are gone by the time I get my speed up to theirs. Plus, on any kind of a long hill, they are out of sight. And last, when you DO get your DB going as fast as the As, you are on the verge of losing control. The chassis, steering and wheels of a DB just weren't designed to go much over 45. At 55 in a DB, IMHO you an accident waiting to happen.

I don't really care, because I don't want to tour with the Model A guys, anyway. I just like to drive my DB around town by myself, and maybe occasionally go touring with other DB drivers.

Big Mark, don't forget that your car was designed in 1913-1914, and a lot of progress in automotive development happened between then and the late '20s, so maybe it is a bit unrealistic to expect to go touring with the later cars.

Billy, you are correct, the 20's and teens DB's are no match typically for the Model A's but they started in 28, when DB's came out with sixes. No problem keeping up with them then. But a Model T is a different story. Of course most of the A's, at least around here, are running overdrives, counter balanced cranks, etc. So I guess it is just what are we trying to run with? I bought a 27 T roadster to run with the T guys because my DB's just run different. In my opinion, not better or worse, just different. I had to keep going to 2nd gear and listen to that horrible growling noise in my DB so I could run slow enough on the back roads with the T's. Out on the open road, no problem. When I drive my T with them it matches and is more enjoyable. But I wouldn't want to drive the T with a buch of DB's! Actually my 29 Model A tudor doesn't blend that well with the T's either except that the tranny is alot quieter and easier to shift frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

That is indeed a "fast 4" engine. It is a 1928. the tranny has the parking brake on it w/ open drive. The engine number is listed as 4012-156 but should be A012-156 if I am not mistaken. Intake and exhaust manifolds are missing.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought what I believe to be a 27 Fast four touring car.It is a frame and suspension,wheels,fenders and runningboards all intact still.It has the 4 point engine mounts,and the fenders etc look just like my 25 touring car.There is a huge stack of leaf springs in the rear though,so it may have been used as a pickup.I also found somewhere else an engine that looks like a Fast Four to me.Distributor thru the head,water pump at the right rear,and North East Electric parts on it.I hope to get the engine and plop it into the frame.