Extremely basic question about replacing the fluid in my axle

Guest Tishabet

Guest Tishabet

This is an embarrassing question, but I could not find an answer in my manual so I am asking here.

I bought the correct weight/type of oil for my transmission and axle (yellow metal friendly!) and had no problem replacing the fluid in my transmission. However, when I got to the rear axle (which is encased in what appears to be about 1/2 inch of grime all around) I can only locate the drain plug.

So my question is... where is the fill plug located? Did I miss its location buried under all of the grime or...?

Thanks in advance!

Guest Tishabet

Maybe I'm more confused than I thought... on the cover of the differential facing the rear of the car I have a threaded port about 1/3 of the way up the cover... is that the _fill_ port?

I was assuming it was the drain port and that you end up leaving some of the fluid in the diff when you refill it from another port higher up, but maybe that is actually where you fill it i.e. you only fill the differential 1/3 of the way full?

The '38 doesn't have a drain plug--the plug you're probably talking about is the fill plug. The only way to drain it is to remove the rear cover and let all that stinky oil drain out. As Howard points out, the best way is to loosen the lower bolts and let it drain out slowly. As long as you're in there, pull the cover off (make sure you have a new gasket), clean it up and inspect it, then seal and refill.

The plug you found is the fill plug. Squirt the oil in there until it starts to leak out the plug opening, then button it up. The housing isn't filled 100%, only the 1/3 or so that you mention.

Hope this helps.

One other method is to use a "slerp gun". It is just like a big syringe for removing and replacing fluids. I found one at a garage sale, and it sure saves wear & tear on gaskets.

But, if you have not cleaned up & inspected the rear end, you should pull the rear cover anyway.