Engine shutting down

Gary Frank

The engine will shut down around 30 mph at times and will restart. It seem the more you drive it the more it happens. Park it for a few days and all is well until it starts shutting down again and the condition worsens to where it will not restart. Replace ICM, coil pack, E CM and mass air flow. We are looking at the Crank sensor now. I have car at very good professional shop now and it has not been resolved. I could use some help here and thanks in advance. PS: no set codes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Park it for a few days and all is well until it starts shutting down again and the condition worsens to where it will not restart.</div></div>

When it will not restart, do you have fuel pressure? Do you have spark at the plugs? Do you have compression? Basic things you need to know in order to troubleshoot the problem.

Guest Mike_s

Mine had a similar problem, but would also sometimes cough and sputter, sometimes it would restart hot, sometimes not, sometimes it would not start cold, seemed like it was in sync with sunspots, sometime it would run fine intil I went up a very low incline. Drove me nuts.

I replaced the same items as you including the crank sensor, even the crank sensor connector and MAF connecors because their wires looked frail. The central power supply eventually solved my problem, not sure if it will solve yours though.

Sounds like you need a scan tool that can do a continuous record to a PC. There are a few like this (Diacom). Sometimes that is the only way to find an intermittant. If it is the crank sensor, I would excpect the tach reading to go wonkey.

Incidentally secondary ignition (coils, wires, plugs) and fuel pressure issues will not set codes and other things have to be present for several seconds for a code to set.

ps it may be a very good shop but it sounds like they are throwing parts at it.