Model T has not run in a long time

herbertg

I have a question for you Model T experts. I have a 1915 Model T that has not run in quite some time. I have done the usual things to ensure it will start, but it needs some help that I am not an expert at troubleshooting. I have fresh gas in the car. I checked to ensure it is getting gas. When I turn the gas supply on to the carb under the hood and after I choke it, some gas runs on the driveway. Coasting it down the driveway no longer works either. It really doesn't want to run.

I appreciate your help,

Steve

Guest simplyconnected

Has it got spark? If so,

Are the cylinders flooded (spark plugs wet)? If so, let it dry out and try again.

Don't forget to advance the spark for starting.

You probably know all this, but sometimes your problems are simple and the answer is overlooked. Hope this helps. - Dave

The coils are buzzing when I try to crank it. Once it runs, we would always switch to the magneto, but that was a long time ago. The spark is in the full retard mode and the gas is about 1/4 of the way open on all of my attempts.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might know where to check so ya can get it running....

on our way to the old car festival in my neighbors 23-T it quit right out..black puff out pipe and dead in middle of road..."wouldn't start" ya could hear a buzz....but nothing..(Now mind you I'm a 44yr old who has read the DYKES manual from cover to cover)and was real ticked...previous owner of the car in nicest words was a old man and a MORON...every bolt was hand tight probally in the motor too..(due to a slight water leak on head gasket gives me to belive nothing was ever tightened.....However back to the issue.....popped the timer cover off....and the bolt that held the roller for timer and roller was laying in bottom of timer...Now there's a little pin that keeps the roller in line if thats broke or the parts did what my neighbors did ( fell into the cover) IT WILL NOT START..will NOT FIRE..you do not pass go collect the 200 monopoly dollars...you sit on driveway scratching head cursing swearing at Henry Ford and everyone associated with Ford Motor Co...all in all took me like 25minutes to fix..on the side of the road...got a buzz from coils..pulled choke out a 1/4 inch..set advance, set accelerator and it fired back to life...now mind you every 5 minutes my neighbors wife was calling his cell phone..."I've been now tramatized " if i hear the michigan state fight song " I cringe......Just check timer..hopefully it'll roar-pop-crackle to life once again