When will someone make......

MarkV

• 1 month later...

Documentation is skimpy to say the least for these vehicles. I think the mechanics of that day had to go it on their own with whatever experience they had, because Ford Motor Company had very poor documentation of their vehicles technically. Even printed sales brochures and ads were literally paintings, not photos. I have tried to collect whatever manuals I can find, but they leave a lot to be desired, and some have multiple years combined which can be confusing. I think there are technical bulletins out there for these vehicles, but not sure how detailed they are or useful in today's world.

Guest simplyconnected

I feel your pain, Ray500. The Old Man wasn't very interested in glitz or glamour. He was happy producing cars for the common family man. Edsel saw things quite differently, being an ivy league-educated, and a progressive businessman. Henry hated all that. I've never seen pictures of Henry surrounded by Hollywood, or government celebrity. I believe, if it weren't for Clara Ford, Henry would have stopped Lincoln and Mercury, early on. Instead, he grudgingly put up with them.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Much to his dismay, Edsel never went to college. He desparately wanted to go to Yale but Henry had no need for all that fancy "book learnin' " Edsel did manage to send his children to Yale although they spent more time getting into trouble and having a good time than they did learning.

Back to the original question on repairs, Ford had an exchange program that exchanged broken parts for rebuilt parts. Everything from carbs, distributors & starters to rears and transmissions. Very little was written on the repairs of these items and the local mechanics didn't ever have to learn to repair parts, only how to R & R them.

Guest simplyconnected

You're right, Bill. It was HenryII (and sib's) that went to college. It seems everything Edsel did for the company was always wrong, in his father's eyes. Ironically, after Edsel's death in '43, Henry only lasted three years longer.

I don't know about an exchange program, but I do know Ford Motor had a retail store in Highland Park, Michigan (at the plant). They sold tires and everything else for Ford cars, to the public.

With regard to the original question, maybe this forum could consolidate their information into something. Collectively, there must be a vast wealth of documents and catalogs that could be compiled into a singel CD (for the benefit of all Lincoln owners).

There was a book written in the 1960's about the first Continentals (the author, if I remember correctly, was Ocee Rich)and it had a reprint of a Ford Motor Company of Canada shop manual for the HV-12. The introduction to it stated that Ford never published one in the U. S. I lost my copy of the book years ago and I'm sure it's long out of print, but if someone has one, a copy of that shop manual would be very helpful to anyone who owns an HV-12.

it just so happens that I have a copy of that book-published by Floyde Clymer ,copywrited 1963,written by OCee Ritch-sold then for $5.00-----back cover says "complete history of the Lincoln Continental and MK.II plus;specifications.restoration.maintenance.repairs----------has chapter on -interchanges- restoration-misc hints-hot rodding the V12-wiring diagram-&how to repair the Lincoln H series V12(reprint of 1947 copyright Ford repair manual)It's in excellent condition(pages are not bent or faded no grease stains)-----anyone interested?---let's talk $(I'm not greedy,just don't know what it's worth) mrgoodwrench20012000@hotmail.com