poor running Reatta

Keith Carruthers

Just got my Reatta back from the repair shop $900 bucks later (front end work, new battery etc.) The car is not running well rough idle bogs down at about 40 miles an hour bucking and stumbling along. Tried fuel injector cleaner no difference. Was going to change plugs and wires until I took a look under the hood. How the hell can you reach the plugs at the rear of the engine? Any suggestions? Thanks

Guest wayne2reattas

Keith,

The plugs is in the back are not that bad! Have changed mine twice- NO big problem. What I would suggest from my experience is- if you have a Magnavox coil pack , gap the plugs at .045 not .060. Learned this on the forum , makes a tremendous difference!

I would change plugs, wires and the coil pak as well as the plate under the coil pack [called the ignition module]. They are readily available and are relitivly easy to swap out. Go to www.car-part.com and key in 1992 Pontiac Transport 3800 motor and you will see what ignition module/coil pack fits on your car. Get one from the salvage yard and your car will run like new. Especially if you do the seafoam thru thru the plenum via the vaccum line.

You could also have a bad cam sensor (magnet falls out) and the car goes into the "limp home mode" It will run badly and the gas mileage will drop.

Check the search and there are several good links to instructions and photos.

Guest DTerry

Uhh, I don't think so, Barney. Loss of camshaft position sensor input won't put you in the limp home mode. You'd probably never notice it except for the code EO41 that it sets.

I remember reading in the service manual about "limp home mode", but I can't remember when it occurs.

Thanks for all the help. Changed the plugs and wires, the plug and wire in the rear of the engine the one nearest the drivers side was fouled. The car is running like it should. There is a sensor or something that is connected to the exhaust manifold and it was unplugged. Could this have any effect on the wire and plug that was directly above it and do I need to replace this sensor? Thanks

Guest dpannell

Keith, The sensor you describe is more than likely the oxygen sensor. It wouldn't have a direct affect on any single cylinder but will cause the engine to run poorly. You should also have a "code" and or service engine soon light.

Replacing the sensor is up to you...but I would recommend you plug it back in. Some of the more electronics savy members here may be able to explain in detail.....but it does control fuel. Dave

Guest Mike_s

I'm with Dave on it being the oxygen(o2) sensor which can affect emmisions and fuel economy. There's a special socket for the sensor, it's got a slot up the side for the wires, the socket is about $10, the sensor is $15-25+. Some here say the ACdelco sensor wire fits into the socket better than others, some preferr bosch, some denso. The oe type sensor is easest to install, the universal sensor may require some wiring but will cost less.