Need opinions

I got a line on a 39 Super 8 Touring sedan conv. in legitimate #2 condition. I'm just not sure what to offer the owner in today's crazy economy/market. What do you guy's think? It is really a strong #2 Packard.

Perhaps ~100-125K. This is based on juniors convertibles going for 60-80K. 32-34 in the $200-250K range, 37s in the $150-170 range. I'm not an expert but by 39 the the Senior and junior cars were quite similiar and is not as desiable as the 37s. Just a SWAG laugh.gif

Given that 37 - 42 120 convertibles are bringing between 85K and 120K, and this is a Super 8, I would think that 100 - 125 would be about right. I would much rather have a 39 Super than a 120. The nice thing about a 39 Super is that you can have factory overdrive and they are very nice cars to drive. I really like the wider grill on the 39s too. This was the end for that engine configuration and after over a decade of improvements it is a very nice powerplant. There is no way that you could buy a car and restore it to 95+ points and have it win first place at almost any show for less than $100K, so if you can get it for that, you are doing well.

My 2 cents says a 39 Super Eight should be worth less than a 37-38 Super Eight with the same body style; though they have basically the same engine, the 39 Super used the 120 body with a somewhat gussied up interior whereas the 37-38 still used true composite construction senior bodies and a bit more elegant interiors. That's basically the reason it took the 39 Super so long to finally get recognized as a bona fide Full Classic. That's not however to say that it's not a really nice car with good road manners.

The 39 Supers have different hood trim, sleeker headlights (exclusive to the 39 super), alternately painted shutters, bright metal fluted trim on the beltline, different running board mats and trim, tail lights, much nicer seats and woodgrained door trim, plastic dash, senior interior and exterior handles, and lots of small things that make them nicer than the juniors. The Supers used the same wools and leathers as the 12s and also had the Marshall coil springs and Mosstread carpets. They also don't have the problems that come with the wood framed earlier Super 8s, and with the lighter body and shorter wheelbase are a lot more lively with the same engine as the 37/38s, which are often set up with less than perfect rear axle ratios for modern driving. Not to say that I don't like the big heavy cars - I do and I have those too - but people seem to look down on the 39 Supers saying that they are just juniors - oddly never making the same argument about the 40 - 42 cars, which are even closer to the juniors. If you want a car that is really fun and easy to drive, but still has the prewar classic look, a 39 Super 8 is a good and still affordable choice. If all you want is an impressive car for show, I would go with the earlier car, but the entry price will be higher as Owen Dyneto says.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 327</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad I checked here first. My original thought was to offer around $50-$60K, guess that would have been an insult. According to you guy's a #3 car would be worth more that $60K, right? </div></div>

I think all of the comments were regarding a #2 car. I don't think i worried about an insult blush.gif It just gives the seller a starting point to negotiate up from.

• 2 weeks later...