F. W. Vogler...Anyone ever heard of him?

jeff_a

I'm doing a little bit of research on a businessman named F.W. Vogler. Canadian-born. In Blackfoot, ID in 1880; Red Rock, MT in 1904; Tonopah, NV about 1905 (ran an auto-stage line to the mines), an established citizen in Portland, OR by 1911. Some of what I read came from Portland, Oregon, It's History, published in 1911.

In Portland, Mr. Vogler was the NW distributor for Reo and Apperson cars, as well as the local rep for Auburn. Sales for his Northwestern Auto Co. in 1909 were $750,000. In 1904 he was involved in a stagecoach line from Red Rock, MT to Salmon, ID; but also was the owner of a 1904 Peerless Model 9 touring car. In July, he took an excursion from Red Rock (5,600 ft.) to Salmon (4,000 ft.) over an 8,000 ft. pass on the Continental Divide in his car and was the first person to make it to this remote mining town in a car. His little trip in the 24 h.p. Peerless was a main feature of the 1905 Peerless catalog entitled "A Peerless Achievement", promoting the Model 9. On the site: www.mclellansautomotive.com , there is a copy of that catalog for sale with some neat pictures of the car on top of the Divide and nine women posing with Vogler on the bridge in Salmon.

Here is what the local paper said:

"F.W. Vogler created a genuine sensation when he whirled into town Wednesday afternoon with his 'red devil.' His coming was heralded by the uncanny 'toot,toot,' which was unfamiliar...and in a twinkling every business house and residence along Main street was quickly emptied, in an endeavor to ascertain what had struck our usually quiet and peaceable town. The machine, with Vogler at the helm, equipped with goggles, cap and regulation suit, whizzed through town at a 40-mile gait, and after slowing up a little at the Salmon bridge, crossed and came back up street surrounded by a gaping, curious crowd, but few of whom had ever seen an auto of any description." -Weekly Idaho Recorder 7/29/1904

Since it's been over a 100 years -- probably no one has heard of this guy, but I just thought I'd ask. I suppose someone who's a computer whiz could post the pictures if they are able.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I recently found some more info on Mr. Vogler at the Beaverhead County Historical Society in Dillon, MT. A local newspaper article reported some misadventures with his 1904 Peerless 4-cylinder car. Once it completely refused to restart at the end of a 5-hour trip ( the mechanic sent to retrieve it found it to be out of gas ). Another time it "bucked and died" for no reason whatever, forcing him and his two passengers to walk the last couple of miles ( mechanic reported this time the radiator was out of water ).

Apparently, he made so much money hauling miners to work with an auto stage line (a fleet of 4 Reo and 4 Peerless cars near Tonopah, Nevada) in 1905, he and his wife "retired" for the winter to drive around California in a new car -- a custom-ordered 1906 Peerless!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeff

Any idea what part of Canada he may have come from. There was/is a branch of the Volgler family here in Nova Scotia, Canada (East Coast). There is a Vogler's Cove named after the family down the shore from here and a now closed Vogler's general store.

Drive Safe

Jeff

• 11 years later...

Hi Jeff,

I'm writing a history of an area near Salmon, Idaho and I'm currently working on a bio for Frederick W. "Fritz" Vogler. I'd love to see the photos posted from 2008! My email is ivanutah@gmail.com

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you for your interest. I thought I was the only person who had heard of F.W. Vogler. Have you contacted the Lemhi County Historical Society yet? They have a couple of photos relating to the Red Rock & Salmon Stage Line and the car on the bridge. 

• 2 weeks later...

May be an image of 4 people, people standing and outdoors

First Car in Salmon
Salmon, Idaho. The first car to appear in Salmon, Idaho, probably on July 4, ca. 1905, was driven from Montana for the day. From left to right in the front seat is Fred Vogler, the driver; then Laura and Lena Shoup of Salmon. Left to right second row is Bradwardine Glendinning of Spokane and Margaret Shoup of Salmon. Left to right back row are Margaret and Elizabeth Glendinning of Spokane and Arthur and Edna Davis of Salmon. Sitting on the fence is Mr. Matlin. Glendinnings were cousins of the Shoups.
Date about 1905
Idaho state Historical Society. 63-216-0

It was the summer of 1904, and is a 24 h.p., four-cylinder, Peerless Model 8.