pockets and wallet empty reatta sitting in drive

Just out of curiosity did the dealership tell you to get all the above?<P>Have you put gas in it? grin.gif" border="0 <P>Then fuel filter, fuel pump?<p>[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted ]

Ralph, sounds like you need to listen to Adam Sadlers CD, What ever happened to me?, track 3 "ode to my car" While not everything is the samne it should make you smile while you still love the car. PS will be in Dayton For The "Hurricane Hunters" Reunion around the weekend of the 20th in the 91 if I can get rid of the disturbance in the radio if not will have to be in the new Z28 or the Tahoe, still betting on the reatta.... Hank

i have had all the right maintenance performed on this car... 1989 burg/burg<BR>new timing chain and tensioner<BR>cam shaft sensor and magnet<BR>new wires/plugs<BR>new ecm<BR>new fuel pump<BR>new gaskets on top of the engine<BR>new ignition coil..........<BR>the thing will not start...<BR>any ideas please.......<BR>ralph.iman@rsc.state.oh.us

dealer said, needs fuel pump. web site said<BR>check cam sensor and magnet when i got a 41 code, turned out to be a loose wire on the cam sensor connector plug. timing belt and tensioner was on advice also from this website on those with 100,000 mi on them. most of the money has been well spent...I wont have to replace those parts again. also ECM was the dealerships idea......they wanted 350.00, i went to autozone for 87.00 got a reman and saved the 100.00 est. for installation and (programing). it took 5 minutes to get out and 5 to re-install. i saved a lot of money if you can look at it that way.......right now im so pi%^%^&&* at the dealership for jerking me around...and they say that they are professionals....BUCKLES IN URBANA, OHIO.......DONT GO THERE. THEY DO NOT KNOW REATTAS. THEY DO HOWEVER KNOW HOW TO RIP YOU OFF IF YOU GULLABLE ENOUGH.

I can understand your frustration. But when any gasoline engine won't run, it's usually one of two things: No fuel or no spark.<P>The fuel can be checked by a $30 fuel pressure guage that attaches like a tire guage to the fitting through the plastic 3800 engine cover. Should read 30-45 pounds.<P>The spark can be checked with a $30 timing light by clipping the sensor probe around each plug wire and seeing if the timing light flashes when the engine rotates.<P>The parts replaced so far in your car shows little logic and a "let's replace this and see what happens" approach.<P>It's only a car. Engine science hasn't changed in the last 70 years. Approach it logically, not by chance. <P>And don't forget to check for codes. Cost nothing and can tell you lotsa information.<P>And keep your wallet in your pocket! smile.gif" border="0

Dealers are really assembly line operations. They have a specific time allotted to every job (and their hour is 50 minutes). Anything oddball is avoided.<P>This is part of the reason I do all of my own mechanical work (except for a/c and trannies)<P>Reattas are oddball. They are old enough that few mechanics were ever trained on them. Today every one should come with a Factory Service Manual (FSM).<BR> <BR>Still this is rediculous, the 3800/4T60 is one of the most common GM drivertains. Was used by everybody. There is even a specific 6 page process for diagnosing "does not run".<P>Actually I use a very simple way to decide if spark or fuel is missing: Pull the cap from the power brake vaccuum hose port on top of the throttle body that the 88-90 Reatta doesn't use. Pour in about 1/2 oz of gasoline. Replace cap. Wait 15 seconds. Crank engine. <P>If it tries to start and dies, fuel is missing. If Nada occurs, look to loss of spark. No instrument cost though I would do it outside & wipe up any spill before cranking.<P>Of course then you need the manual & prolly at least a DVM but know what to look for.<P>Will go out on a limb but the "runs fine when it starts but mostly doesn't start" and no codes sounds a lot like a failing fuel pump (inside the gas tank). New ones often are bad from the start. Talented ear should hear it when key is turned on.

Hi,<BR>When I first purchased my '90 it had been sitting on the dealers lot (in CA) for a while. I drove it home to AZ and the next day it would not start. Then it would. Then it wouldn't. And again. And again. Dealer could not find problem. I polished (gently) the ignition key theft thingy and have not had a problem since. Just a suggestion.<BR>Sandy.

doesn't start means that it sounds like it is going to fire and it turns over and just that fast it is only cranking over. my ear hears the fuel pump and it sounds like it winds down with the key turned to accy and i hessitate to start the car right away. I have tried to turn the key only to accy and off three times before starting the car and that doesn't make a difference. thanks<P><BR>when you polish the security thing what exactly are you polishing?<BR> sign me, wallet and pockets still empty<BR> the baby is still in the drive.

On the '90 GM's and up, there is a resistive pellet imbedded in the key shank near the head of the key. There are two metal contacts one on either side of the pellet; these need to make good electrical contact to contacts inside the lock tumbler, however if these don't make contact, or a key without the pellet(or screwdriver)is used to attempt to start the car, it woun't even crank, let alone start. I believe.

THE KEY GOT STUCK IN THE ON POSITION ONE DAY WHEN THE CAR WAS RUNNING.....HAD TO PULL THE SPARK PLUGS TO SHUT CAR DOWN.......REPLACED THE IGNITION SWITCH WITH AN AUTOZONE GM REPLACEMENT LOCK TUMBLER SWITCH AND KEY.....<BR>WHAT NOW.

What did you replace? And who did it. The lock tumbler and the ignition switch are two separate items; the lock tumbler has a link that shinnies down the steering column to the ignition switch at the BASE of the column. Now the tumbler (GM) has provisions for the buzzer and the PassKey, if the Autozone switch doesn't have these provisions, the car won't start. Or crank.

I had to replace the fuel pump on my 88, due to similar problems. NEVER let a dealer near your baby. I was told by 4 dealers that I had to replace my whole dash for $2000-3000 ( it kept dimming). A $30 part fixed that. Also take the key advice seriously. I had an 89 Firebird, if the contacts on the ignition key are dirty or older it won't start. The whole point of these type of keys was to prevent hotwiring and thefts-it works trust me!