I Might be Rejoining the Reatta Ranks

ol' yeller

Saturday I am going to look at a '90 Coupe. If it is anywhere close to the description, I'll be back among my Reatta brothers. I had a '90 Coupe a couple of years ago so I do know what to look out for. I ran a Carfax and found no issues there. I needed something to get around in that got better mileage than my V10 F250 and yet still has class. When I found this one it seemed like it was meant to be. I will run the brake test and check out the other big Reatta problem areas. The seller claims the A/C needs a charge but I am figuring there are other problems with it as they just don't lose a charge without a leak somewhere. I may have to knock off a couple bucks just in case. The only other problem he stated was a slow passenger window. I replaced the motor in my last Reatta so I know that drill. I also found the VIN number in the data base. If I do buy it, how do I update the info? If it all works out, I'll be sending in my membership dues again. I guess I'm kinda pumped. Thanks for listening.

Well, now I'm pretty disappointed. The car was ridden hard and put away wet. I couldn't justify buying it so I guess I'll have to keep looking. They are pretty hard to find here in the Northwest. At least for a nice car at a good price. I bought my first out of Chicago. It seems they are pretty plentiful there, Ohio and Florida, all too far for me. Oh well.

Ol' Yeller,

Sorry to hear about the disappointing condition of this car. I went through the same thing. I spent 9 months looking for a good clean coupe that wouldn't require massive work before I could actually enjoy it.

I had several false starts, and looked at a few that were either cheap but moderately to very rough, or grossly overpriced. At the time, one local Buick dealer had a 90 coupe that was maybe a 5 or 6 on the 10 scale priced at just under $10,000 with almost 100K on the clock. It also was not the color I was looking for.

Anyway, just when I was about to give up for a while, I found the one I bought advertised online. Only thing is, it was about 300 miles away. I along with my two brothers drove to the dealer, checked it out and drove it home the same day.

Yes, it still needed work to get it right (and I am still working on it as time and money are available) but it was worth the wait.

Obviously, patience and determination are key. I tend to lack the former which made my search that much more frustrating. You are right that there is a large concentration of Reattae in the midwest as well as in CA and FL. Seem to be a fair number in Canada as well from what I can tell.

I am in St. Louis, MO, so I was fairly close to a decent number of cars for sale if I was willing to look (and travel to pick up) in a 300-400 mile radius.

All I can say is good luck, and keep looking. That is the approach that finally put me in one.

KDirk

I'll keep looking. Most of the ones I find have well over 150K on them which is too high for me. They also seem to all want over $6K for them. My first Reatta is for sale right now. It now has 110K on it which isn't too bad. He repainted it and it appears to be a decent job. The interior is getting pretty worn and the car was originally from the Chicago area. It did have some rust issues but I am sure the cosmetic ones were repaired prior to the repaint. It is the noncosmetic rust that has me worried. He is asking $6K for it but I feel that it is probably a $3-3.5K car so we are too far apart. I feel somewhat justified in my pricing as he has had the car for sale for well over a year now with no offers. It is burgandy in color. I would take just about any color except meybe white. I'd love to find a Maui Blue one.