89 Horn Button / Switch

Guest Mark Wishneusky

Guest Mark Wishneusky

Hi all,

I read somewhere that the 89 horn button can just be pulled off to get to the switch mechanism. My button is leaning to one side and I need to press the other side down to activate it but it's not easy to do. So the questions are:

- Just pull off the button to get to the switch?

- I know after I get it off I can diagnose it better but from what I described what do you think it could be?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark, if none of the 1989 owners (Ronnie is a great source) do not reply (they likely will) go to reatta.net ... under Documentation locate the info for a 1989 ... then find the Horn pad info.

John in Sarasota (I have a 1990, which is different)

Hi Mark. The horn button should be the same as my 90, it's old plastic so use a dental pick and try to go in the side of the switch about 2" in to grab the switch itself then slowly wiggle it out. The switch is about $50.00 at the buick store, but some cheaper on E bay. If you try to pry the button it will break. Lots of luck Bobby.

Just curious Bob, your 1990 apparently is different than mine. Mine has two Horn Buttons & Assemblies, not one Horn Pad in the middle, that are accessed by removing the Air Bag by loosening the four screws on the back of the Steering Wheel. On mine you do that and then remove two screws on the back of the Horn Button Assembly(ies) and it pops out. The replacements are hard to find but there are some suggestions available on this site on how to repair one.

I've always thought, perhaps wrongly, the 1989 Steering Wheel was completely different.

John in Sarasota

• 2 weeks later...

The horn button on your '89 is completely different from the horn buttonS on 90-91 cars, they have an air-bag Riviera steering wheel.

The HORNS are even different on my '91!

6-2-07underthepoleatMISpeedway016.jpg

What color is your '89 horn button, I may have one on the shelf! There's a chance yours has broken tab(s), making it lop-sided, and difficult to operate.