Dodge Brothers "OVER THERE"

bobs1916

Look up Black Jack Pershing's campaign along the Mexican border during the WW1 era or slightly earlier. He used Dodge touring cars extensively. Also some trucks, make unknown. This was the first use of motor vehicles during a campaign by the US army and there are quite a few photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob...I have been to a museum somewhere that had a display of WW1 DB with full size manniquins (fake people). Really neat!! I need to chat with my darling better half to see if I can figure out where it was. I'll figure it out though. You may be interested.

Guest imouttahere

I have read several times that the reason General Pershing was so impressed by the DB was that he was riding in the back seat of a DB car when it ran over a land mine which exploded. It lifted the car about a couple of feet in the air, and severely dented the underside of the body but did not penetrate it. Pershing was convinced he would have been killed or injured in any other make of car.

John and Horace used chrome vanadium steel in the body as well as the running gear. It's so tough that it even makes repairs more difficult than with standard steel alloys.