1930 733: Crankcase oil level gauge questions

34PackardRoadsta

Dear Folks,

Attached please find a couple of photos of the crankcase oil level indicator from my standard eight. You will notice that someone added a dipstick when the indicator stopped working. I am planning on restoring this bit to original condition. My questions are:

1) Does anyone have a photo of what this gauge should look like?

2) Has anyone restored one of these indicator faces, and if so what materials did you use?

3) I presume there should be gaskets around the indicator. Unfortunately, the last repair was done with a silicone sealant, thus no original-ish gaskets to go by.

Thanks tons,

Tom

post-54016-143137989081_thumb.jpg

post-54016-143137989084_thumb.jpg

Tom,

I believe I bought the last face from PI last year. However I think they might had got their face from the company below, the mew "puffer and williams"

Vivian Lavine. Call her at 574-773-7561.

The PI club has all the gaskets and glass for it. When I get a chance I'll send a picture of my oil level gauge.

People always mistake my oil level gauge for a gas gauge. I always remark (tougue in cheek) that the next year in 33, Packard started to make cars cheaper and replaced the oil level gauge with a dipstick.

Tom,

Looiking at my gauge just now, I remembered that I originally had a face that was the color of your gauge. I was sent a different face by PI. I questioned it, and they said that Packard changed the face color in the middle of the 32 model year. So my oil level face is now black with gold lettering. The original face that I have, the gauge restorer removed the paint, but I remember it being an off white. Unfortunately I do not have a good picture of before.

beforeoil.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

i think the bronze color is original for '30, i know it was for '29s. not sure about the pointers, one of mine was painted white but the other was bare brass, with no paint, when i got them.

Guest imported_Speedster

the marks were Not black in '29s, (just raised with No paint on them)

both appeared to be original and untouched when i took them apart, but not sure about that.

Tom, There,s a good picture of a 1930 oil gauge in the Hemmings Classis Car magazine issue #47. I just received it. The item is all about a 740 Packard, great story.My 733 oil ga. is all brass with a black indicater. The one in the magazine is white with a red area in the empty zone.

Hope this helpes.

Guest imported_Speedster

very strange that we see such a varity of Pointer color (red, white, black). i think i've seen it dark-red color more than others, but have not got a clue which color or colors are original ??? it could be that they were not all the same color originally or different years used different color paint on pointer?

Guest imported_Speedster

yes, i went thru pictures i have of '29 and '30 engines and the oil-guage-pointer is Red in all i can see. it appears to be same shade of red that is used in hubcap centers. not saying for sure that is original color for all of them but i think it is.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to the PI judging book, the pointer is a "natural" color...whatever that means. </div></div>

It probably means that they don't know what color it should be, Also. wink.gif LOL grin.gif

Another 2 cents worth.. mine is a 32, and I beleive my pointer is red. If I knew which box it was in I'd go look and see for sure, but I have no earthly idea...but red sure sticks in my mind, and I think the face was white, and the empty slot was red..... for what it's worth...B

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

• 2 years later...
Guest JBaeke

I realize this thread is 3 years old, however, I am restoring a race engine from the 1920s, with the inner workings of a crankcase oil level guage still present, but no outside guage itself. Have any of you ever seen these gauges on anything but Packard? Did they make an aftermarket variety? What manufacturers should I be thinking of besides Packard to compare inner workings of to identify the guage manufacturer?