A question about alignment...

Guest wayne2reattas

Guest wayne2reattas

The other day I took my 88 in for an alignment. They showed me how far off the front wheels were and corrected that. They then proceeded to show me how far off the back wheels were. They told me they could not adjust the rear , because there are no adjustments. They said just rotate your tires more often. Is this true that there are no alignment adjustments possible for rear wheels? Thanks........

Guest wayne2reattas

Thanks for the info BUT I am confused. I am not clear as to if there is an actual adjustment that can be made or if you buy these shims and use them to make the adjustments?? Also how important is the rear wheel alignment? Thanks........

The shims change the angle that the strut meets the control arm. These are just about the only way to change that angle on the Reatta and many other cars. As far as how important the rear alignment, how important is making your tires last? Depending on how far out the alignment is would change how important it is. I would keep an eye on the rear tires.

Guest Greg Ross

This alignment shop doesn't know what they're talking about. The rear "A" Arms each have a slotted hole at the rear inner bushing which allows the Toe-In to be adjusted. This is a 4 Wheel Alignment Vehicle.

Positive or negative Camber (tilt in or tilt out of the wheel)is not adjustible although there is a specified tolerance given for this alignment value. Adustment can be accomplished by adding a wedged shim behind the wheel bearing bolt flange. Not rocket science.

There are several different styles of shims available.

Guest wayne2reattas

Thanks for the info. I took it to a place called Honest I Auto Care. They do alot of my work and have never had any issues.

• 11 months later...

Alignment is possible for the rear wheels!

With new shocks about 4 weeks ago and new

tires last Wednesday and reading this post

and some others, I decided to have a 4 wheel

alignment. The only thing needed was a shim

for the right rear wheel(it came from the

factory this way) which corrected both the

toe and camber. Without the shim I would get

a <span style="text-decoration: underline">little</span> tire wear but it was relatively

insignifficant.

Regards

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

Guest Greg Ross

The rotary Shim Kit "Crazt Train" posted above were apparently too complicated for the Alignment Tech who used a set of them on my car in Louisiana a few years ago. The directions allow you to compensate for both caster and camber and of course the orientation once the two wedged rings come together is vital/

After the alignment the car, well felt funny to drive. Once home in the driveway I got out and looked and the wheel looked crooked. Got a 2 by 4 and laid it against the rear tire (a highly technical measurement tool!) it was pointing outwards and was probably 3" away from the front tire. Just a negligable amount of toe-out!

Shop reordered the kit and made out much better the second time around.