North to South gas mileage

Guest ekvh

I have a bug that says go to Arizona from Winnipeg,MB next week. Does anyone else get repeatedly better gas mileage than the computer estimates. Mine says I average around 19 mpg, but whenever I calculate it, it is 25 or better. I hope my 88 is up to it. I hope to get the front struts on first. I wonder how my engine temp will do in the heat. Any suggestions of items to take along if I get stranded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bug that says go to Arizona from Winnipeg,MB next week... Any suggestions of items to take along if I get stranded?</div></div>

Take that talking bug along with you. If the Reatta breaks down you can sell the bug for enough money to buy a new Corvette and drive it back to Winnipeg. laugh.gif

Sorry, I don't mean to be a smart a$$. I just couldn't help but laugh at the thoughts of a talking bug.

Guest EDBS0

How many miles on it?

How have you maintained it and how has the previous owner maintained it.

I had mine in 100 degrees and was OK. 116, that is something else. Use Red Line Water Wetter.

MPGs, I believe there was a software upgrade to correct that.

Run your tires at the proper pressures.

Why not just go to Flint MI?

Or come to the party here newhillcam.jpg

Guest Drake

You mention a software upgrade to correct the MPG readout, could you be a little more specific? My 89 claims I'm getting just over 19 MPG, but when I check from fill up to fill up, I'm getting just over 21 MPG.

Drake,

I believe the upgrade being discussed was (is) a new EPROM (computer chip) that was installed in either the BCM or ECM - sorry not sure which - to change the software that calculates the fuel economy readout so that is was more accurate.

If these are still available they could be ordered from a GM parts department. If not, someone here may have a spare or one that can be copied by someone with the proper equipment to do so.

There is probably a GM TSB that covered the subject of the upgrade back when it was first released sometime in 1989 or 90 I would guess. A dealer should be able to look this up and get the part number for the new EPROM, which could then be ordered assuming it is still available.

Surely, someone here with first hand knowledge of the upgrade will chime in soon. I don't have because this only applies to the 1988 and 89 models, mine is a 1991.

KDirk

Guest Drake

Thanks Kevin. I'll give my friend at the Buick parts counter a call tommorow. If I get any useful information, I will Post.

Guest Drake

Padgett, Thank You. Now I can give the parts guy some useful information.

Also, I take it this was an upgrade that covered both 88 & 89?

Guest Drake

Padgett, talked to my friend at Buick today. They still list the ECM prom ( # 16123488 ). He was able to order one for me from Vintage Parts. They have 9 left in stock, my cost $49.00.

Thanks Again for the information.

Almost forgot to Thank You also Kevin.

Guest Squire Tom

i am not sure about the mileage problem , but i wouldnt be concerned as it should all be downhill from where you are to where you want to be.

-88 prom is for 88 only, might work in an 89 but speedo might read 200 mph also (have seen with wrong PROM) - no promises. Issue is that the BCM relies on the data stream from the ECM to populate the instrument panel and GM was likely to move the markers from year to year. Is a worse issue with a Reatta than a Fiero because of the BCM.

There is a similar but different PROMfor the 89 but I have no access to my books and documentation - last time I saw theM was nearly a year ago.