Lazy starter/generator

Hi

I am in Australia and have a fully restored 1923 Dodge Tourer.

The ongoing problem I have is that the self starter will not turn over the engine completly. Gets to a compression stroke and thats it. With the plugs out, no problem. I had a starter rebuilt when I finished the restoration in 1992 and it worked fine for a couple of years then slowly went back to the same problem. I resorted to hand cranking till I put it in storage in 1998. I have now got Dodgieitis again want to get the problem solved once and for all. I have lost the contact details of the guy who recoed the starter before. I have tried two spare unrestored starter/generator units and they are all the same.

Is this a common thing with these units?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

Mine acted the same way several year ago. I bought a rebuilt from Roy Brister and it's worked very well ever since. I think he told me they should freewheel at 350 rpms, if slower they aren't any good. His address is here on the forum, do a search, but the shipping will kill you. Do you know anyone coming to the U.S.A., maybe Hershey, that could carry it back for you?

Guest imported_RAH

John,

You mentioned the unit was 'restored' back in '92. Perhaps the rebuilder used all carbon brushes? It is necessary that the two main brushes have some copper content

otherwise the carbon will slough off and cause electrical leakage paths between the commutator segments. Perhaps a new set of proper brushes and cleaning of the commutator will help.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest simplyconnected

They like using carbonized silica-bronze brushes. It's all about resistance. In fact, your entire starting loop may have too much resistance. It doesn't make sense that ALL your starters are acting poorly.

Increase your copper wire diameter, route your cables as short as you comfortably can, and attach the chassis ground cable as close to your starter as possible on the engine. Make SURE every connection is tight. Also, check your starting relay for contact resistance. (It may be getting old.)

Depending on length, on a 6-volt system, short runs use a minimum #2 copper wire, for both cables. If you want to get fancy, Welding Wire is very flexible because it has hundreds of strands. I use #1AWG welding wire on my car.

Guest backyardmachinc

Hello

Check the tenstion on the brush springs.This is often over look when rebuilting these units.

Vern

• 2 weeks later...