Unknown Engine, Open valve

emacholl

I think Chevrolet started using valve covers in 1925, so I'm going to guess it is 23-24. Try re-posting on the Chevy forum... The T "hot-rod" people have made adaptor plates to put that head onto a T block simmilar to a Rajo set-up, but that is a Chevy engine.

Typical Chev 4 head up to about 1927, when they changed to two exhaust ports instead of one. I know there were differences with the earliest heads. I'll ask Bob Schuhkraft to have a look. His 1914 Baby Grand is nearly finished restoration, and he knows the very earliest ones.

Oldsmobile 4 is basically the same engine, but the head the used has three exhaust ports and still the same two inlets.

The adapter plate to use a Chev or Olds head on a T model would be about 3/4" thick to allow for bolt heads to fasten the plate to the Ford block. You would get better running if you made combustion chambers in D shape with the flat opposite the spark plug to reduce flame front travel and give squish/turbulence. Power on T with Chev head is probably limited first by what the head studs can hold without leakage.

Ivan Saxton

Bob Schuhkraft has called in and is standing beside me now. Bell housing did not come in till 1925, when generator and oil pump were driven off the back of the timing case on the exhaust side. This engine would have oil pump in the sump and a belt driven generator. 1928 has pushrod covers and two exhaust ports. !927 has the first use of the raised "bow-tie" cast emblem, and two small welch plugs on the top of the head between the rocker pedestals. We cannot see this detail that would determine whether 1926 or 1927, but Bob's guess is the earlier. Bob lives up in the hills where he cannot get decent internet, but he is always eager to communicate with other people with interest in the earliest Chevs, and help if possible. ( compared to Bob's 1914 and 1916 cars, this engine is very modern late model, of course.)

Ivan Saxton