car won't start

KING

Having problems with my 1990 buick reatta with 35,000 original miles. The car turns over but will not start. If I just turn the key to the on position without even trying to start the car, I hear a clicking and buzzing noise near the drivers side of the motor. Also, I see that the cooling fan keeps going on and off, and temperature gauge on instrument panel inside car is flickering. All of this without even trying to start the car. Need all the help I can get on this one.

Guest Greg Ross

Crank Shaft Sensor is an interrupter type sensor, no moving parts.

Any other recent work on the car besides the new battery?

The Brake System ABS Boost Pump can definitely be heard as soon as you turn the key.

When did the car last run?

car last ran about 2 weeks ago. Still trying to find out what is wrong with it. Battery died about one month ago,put new battery in, ran perfect for 2 weeks, than one morning went to start it up and turns over but won't start. I only hear clicking sounds moving around the motor. I looked at car today and saw some gooey stuff near ignition coil, not sure if this would cause car not to start.

Guest Drake

If the gooey stuff you're talking about is around the coil pack, it's a good bet the Ignition Control Module failed. Others on the forum have suggested replacing the ICM, coil and a new set of plug wires ( plugs too if you're not sure when last changed ). Failed ICM would definately cause a no start.

Guest MauiWowee

This would be a good time to post a link to the Delco upgrade. (Sorry, I can't seem to find it.) cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MauiWowee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would be a good time to post a link to the Delco upgrade. (Sorry, I can't seem to find it.) cool.gif </div></div>

That is the reason I save the links on my website.

Click here for the Delco upgrade.

Ronnie,

The extensive posts coupled with the knowledge base from the users, makes this website priceless!!!!

Guys such as yourself, Barney and Jim Finn, have kept my Reatta running. Without you guys and this website, this car would have seen a scrap yard.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it!!!