wanted 90 or 91 Reatta convertible

More clarity!!<P>Looking for a low milege reatta convertible less than (60,000 mi.). Must be all original (i.e, paint, wheels, no engine replacement, no after market add-ons (mud flaps, ect), get the point!! "original"), no hit, all paperwork (a one owner car or must know original owner personally), and in very good "new like" condition. Favorite colors: exterior white, with burgandy or gray interior, or silver with a gray interior. If this sounds like a lot it is, but will pay top dollar but must be realistic. Please no red or black exteriors, unless black exterior has same color body molding (which it should be anyhow) and a burgandy or gray interior; will consider other colors and combinations, except for camel interiors and red exteriors, not just that that combination. That is, No red exterior, regardless of interior color: No Camel interior, regardless of exterior color. Why did Buick make so many of these cars with Camel interiors? E-mail Shilohbandit@mindspring.com

How 'bout my '91 convertible? Jade green with gray interior? Odo just turned 17 summer-only miles; RPMs never been above 750. Never been off my block. Humidity-controlled garage. Asking $2500/best. But then the car's probably not pristine enough for you. Sally the RegalGal

Rough crowd. <P>Just looking for a really nice reatta convertibe, low mileage, original car. Sorry if my color selection don't suit you who critize. But for Regalgal, don't like green either. I am not looking for the most rarest of cars or non-exitent ones, but one with a color combination I like. Hope this explains my position.

My father in law is the original owner of a 91 convertable silver with grey interior and black top. He worked for GM and had to drive it for the 3 months before he could purchase it. He picked it up in flint and had no choice in colors, only 2 were available,both silver with black tops. I believe it has under 40,000 miles. His health is not good and i am going to have to sell the car for the family. I will find out all of the details, so if somebody has an interest in this rare reatta, email me at morganjd@att.net I am an old corvette junkie and would like to see this thing go to a reatta freak. If it was a vette, we would never be talkin!!

Thanks to all the nice people who responed to my add via e-mail. I have had a problem with my e-mail this moring and several were deleted. If any of you answered my response, please resend. And for the rest of you keep them coming. Looks like there are some very nice cars out there!!!!

Sorry, you're color spectrum & ownership are limited because I believe I have a rare color combination in a second owner '90 red/ black top & grey interior with only 45,900 miles on it for sale.

I have had a lot of e-mails asking me what I would pay for their convertible. What I have been telling people as far as what I am willing to pay is subjective, but I use a starting point is <A HREF="http://www.edmunds.com" TARGET=_blank>www.edmunds.com</A> - use best condition, adjust for mileage, color, and see what the dealer asking price is (which is the highest available). After all that what I request. In most instances this has come to around $10,500 - $10,800. (1990 version). From there I would be willing to pay a premium based on my impression of condition (10% - 25% over dealer asking price). This seeems to be a realistic top dollar price for a pristine car. What do you say Barney? Iam I fair?

'Fraid you're gonna be a looooong time without a Reatta convertible if those are your criteria... Tough to put a statistical yardstick to an emotional issue. Very nice 100K convertibles are bringing $10K+ (I've just sold two such). To take a Kelly Blue Book or other guide and calculate your own subjective overage is just plain unrealistic. This is a market-driven game; prices are determined by what someone is willing to pay for any given car. Best of luck -- but don't hold out much hope for successful implementation of your formula.<P>Jerry

Jerry: Don't ever buy cars on emotion or gotta have. But that's how dealers get above sticker prices on new models. These people gotta have. One reason that I wanted a one owner car is that person who bought it would have it paid for - and a long time ago, versus someone who purchased one a short time ago and need to recoup there investment, after all a second or third owner may have purchased the car for an over-market price. But, you are right all cars are market driven, You have 113 for sale in the auto trader, the only thing you don't know is how many buyers are out there, pure economics. That's a lot of cars, if there were more buyers at that price there would not be so many cars for sale, they would be sold. That tells me that generally the asking price is much higher than than what people are willing to pay. I also saw two Reattas in Hemmings - one for $26,000 the other for $35,000. Personnally for that price I buy a late low mileage Corvette or new Honda S2000. That's the difference between me and most people, I focus on what my money will buy elsewhere in the market. In any event I think $13,500 for a low mileage, one owner pristine Reatta Convertible is very reasonable. I have also been contacted by several individuals that appear to be willing to sell for this price.

Hagie's unrealistic. $25,000 I could buy a low mileage vette convertible (1992- 1995). There is a red Reatta convetible on e-bay, a dealer car, with 22,000 miles. While not my color, lets see what it brings- that should give a good indication of market!!!! I am still convinced I can buy low mileage reatta convetible for $13,500 and I think time will prove me right.

Hope you're right -- although the first five or six convertibles listed on AutoTrader are all in the $20,000-and-up price range. Didn't look any further. While your reasoning may be of sound basis, I just don't think anyone with a low-mileage, one-owner mintmobile is going to turn it loose for $13K when so many are advertised at $20K+.<P>Jerry

Jerry: Your right they are advertised at $20,000, not SOLD. And I think they will be advertised for a long long time. Maybe they will will sell for $20,000 in 5 years, but not today. These people should be glad these ads run until sold!!! Look your having trouble selling a 101,000 mi car that looks like a low mileage car, rare color, for what amounts to $9,500. And as I said the red car on e-bay is a GM dealer. Do you think a dealer would pay more for a car on a trade in than what the blue book value is? At least one that not considered a classic or antique. I don't know of any. So at least one person was willing to part with it. I have also found a car in Southern CA that is on consignment for $17,500 White with a burgandy interior, with 13,200 miles. The dealer has had it for 11/2 months. Not sold yet!! I tracked down the owner and he told me it would be released from consignment, if not sold, by mid-September, and that he would be willing to sell for $13,500. He indicated he too many cars. These are the kind of people I need to find to achieve my objective. One last note, if a car is totaled, what do you think a insurace company will pay average blue book or $20,000? After all these cars can not be valued for what you pay for them. They are not considered calsics. You would lose your shorts, if someone totaled that car and you payed that kind of price. Jerry I too much of a realist and too many bad things can happen. These cars are very nice cars, but just don't demand that kind of price yet, and the emphasis is on YET!!!

Lot of talk from both our sides here...but the bottom line is: Don't hold your breath till you find that perfect 13,000-mile convertible for $13,500. It just ain't gonna happen, son.<P>Jerry<P>P.S. Love your reasoning on first owner's initial investment being lower (ergo he'll take less). Reminds me that the most van Gogh ever made on a painting was $40. Apply your logic and formula to that scenario, and explain to the first owner how you're willing to pay 15% more than his purchase price. Your chances of becoming a van Gogh owner are about as likely as becoming a Reatta owner. (Enjoyed the discussion; let's close this now, skipping right over the apples v. oranges saw.)

Think the cars are too new to be considered "collector's items" yet, there are just too many that are being sold on the open market by people who just want them gone.<P>Major indicator is that they are still showing up on mainstream dealer's lots and in the want ads. That good running examples are often available in the $2k-$3k range (coupes) is another.<P>California has always been a good place to find convertibles as has been demonstrated several times (personally have nixed emotions, since selling my 67 GP "Great American Land Barge", the craving for a convert has been rising but suspect it won;t be a Reatta).<P>Of course the main reason I bought mine was for a bigger Fiero with commonalities (drivetrain) with my other cars. <P>As a driver it does have some annoyances (no "single sweep" for the wipers is the biggest, having to modify the seats to get close to a comfortable position is another, no indicator light for the fog lamps is a third, not having the displays I want up front is one I am working on) but these are handleable.<P>For me the power is adequate but 15x6 wheels ? Give me a break.<P>In short, a wonderful concept that was axed by the bean counters but still makes a very nice and distinctive car to drive to the airport. If I want mean, there is always the Judge (interesting how many others here also have musclecars).<P>Do think the cars are around for those willing to pay the price and people are often willing to trade $$$ for effort. Would expect a very nice U$13k convertable to not be difficult to find just probably not on ebay (minimun effort) or here (too many experts). <BR>With a LOT of effort and patience, should find one for $9k-$10k (cash in hand at the owner's doorstep always helps).<P>Of course, if the blood is boiling & money just does not matter, then $15k-$20k may be exchanged and instant gratification at no efort can result. This is how dealers stay in business. Just a matter of perspectives.<P>And then if you figure that 5% average inflation is required to avoid stagnation then just wait - once the dollar is worth 10% of that in 1988 then Reattas will get back to their list price.<p>[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: padgett ]

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, If these people can get $20,000 for these cars today, it just proves that their is an ass for every seat!!

1. Thanks for your expert opinion. I've owned only seven Reatta convertibles. You?<P>2. And good luck with the hunt for that 'Vette; that's what you'll end up with. They're about as rare as Nissan Sentras here. <P>3. Believe there were 2132 Reatta convertibles built in 1990; weren't there about 300,000 Vettes built that year? Talk about exclusitivity.<P>As Dr. Eng. Enrique Ferrari said: "Most people should drive Chevrolets."<P>Jerry

Once Upon A Time, not too long ago, JJ sold a 100K mile Reatta convertible on eBay for<BR>$12,000. To which he exclaimed, ?Reatta convertibles are worth $12K!?<P>To which I said, not necessarily, just someone paid $12,000.<P>And now JJ has listed his rare driftwood convertible on eBay three or four times for a<BR>mere (?) $10,000, shipping included, and even warned the car will be placed in storage if<BR>not sold. The poor car is feeling like a bastardized Rolex. But no bids yet. <P>And JJ just recently told of a similar mileage Reatta convertible in Las Vegas that sold for<BR>$5000.<P>Can one say that Reatta convertibles are worth $12? Or $5K? NOT! It all depends on<BR>what a buyer is willing to pay the seller. The convertibles listed for $25K probably don?t<BR>sell, but from the inconclusive examples given above, the price for a 100,000 mile Reatta<BR>convertible would range between $5K and somewhat under $10K.<P>I applaud shilo for knowing exactly what he wants. With his nine month allotted time, I<BR>can almost guarantee he will find a low mileage silver Reatta convertible for his target<BR>price of $13,500-$15,000. It just takes patience. And time.<P>And, yes, I do indeed drive a Chevrolet.

Jerry: I own a 1969 L71 Corvette Roaster, 427, 435Hp tri-power, 4-speed, a 1961 Pontiac Ventura, 389 tri-power, 4-speed, both I did frame off restorations, not to mention a 1966 Triumph Bonneville - all museum quality. I have also done two other frame offs and appraised about 1,000 cars. What's your history? I think I can judge quality and value. And as far as owning a Reatta, you don't have to be a fish to fish. By the way I happy you sold your car for what you wanted!!!

Wrong, Swede. Jerry is just a happy great-grandfather, a retired homebuilder who's been involved with classic cars for the past four decades. I still have my original '55 Thunderbird (the 28th one built) which I bought upon my return from Korea just before Christmas 1954. I've bought seven Reattas, and currently have two: my Maui Blue and a black/burgundy which I'm restoring. On the five which I've sold, I've made a total profit of about $1500 ($300 each; that's being a dealer?). What I HAVE done, however, is have every one brake-flushed with an accumulator replacement. Who knows, perhaps I've prevented an accident somewhere down the line. This is a hobby, Swede, and I'm an outspoken Irisher. Don't insult me by calling me a "dealer." I just burned a sale for myself by directing Ralph Price of Dallas to the Vegas convertible. He's delighted...and so am I. Your apology is accepted.<P>Jerry

Hi Shiloh: Boy, has this gotten out of hand! But to answer your question about experience: I am member #559 of the Classic Thunderbird Club International (it now has 25,000+ members). I've owned 19 little Birds, including an F Model Paxton-McCullough supercharged Zerby '57 which raced at Sebring (kicking ass on 'Vettes until Chev Division protested.) I've done perhaps six body-off-frame restorations, including having the entire frame dipped in the giant cadnium-plating tank at the old Douglas Aircraft Company plant in Long Beach. I was president of the Earlybirds of Southern California in the late '60s or early '70s, was chairman of the CTCI international Thunderbird convention Springs in 1972, and founded the Thunderbird Circle of Orange County (CA) in 1973. I've done body-offs on a '34 Ford three-window, a '36 Ford roadster, a Jag XK-120, a Facel-Vega and a '61 Continental four-door convertible. Enough with the credentials. I'm impressed with your current collection -- and wish you luck with your search for a RatRag.<P>Jerry

Not to worry, my Swedish friend. This is absolutely the best Forum I've ever come across. Guys like Padgett, BurkieBoy, Barney and EDSO have forgotten more than I'll ever know about Reattas. Bless you all.<P>Jerry

I either find one at my price by Spring of 2003 or I be looking for 1994-1996 Corvette Convertible, if I have to pay $20K+. For now I didn't want to go that high. Once again lets see what the red convertible with 22,000 miles on e-bay tops out at. By the way why do you protest so much? I think the one you have listed on e-bay is a fair price, I can't believe you would think that there is that much money involved ($20,000 - $9,500) for a mileage differential and a one owner car. Just my opinion, I think you would sell the car for your price if you put the orginal wheels back on.

You guys are great!! Have some great cars, this includes Jerry even though he took a cheap shot at Vettes. Time to close this out, but will keep you posted on my search. Still waiting to see what the 1990 red converible on e-bay brings. <P>Jerry you would probably look good in a Vette!!!

Only teasing about the Vettes. Goes back to the late '50s when they used to kick our little T-Birds' butts. In second gear! Our inferiority complexes were manifested in the saying: "Only children play with plastic cars" -- but it was a classic case of sour grapes on our part.<P>Again, good luck in your search.<P>Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

1990 Reatta Convertible White With Burgundy Interior With All Options, 37K Miles, Never Wrecked, Perfect Condition, For Sale For $13,750.<P>Please Contact Me At (503) 330-7808. Serious Inquiries Only.

Thought I should look at a posting with 37 entries. What can I add......not much.<BR>There will be some Reatta convertibles sold at bargin basement prices and some at sticker or more.<P>I do see a trend of Reatta prices creeping up. Two years ago, you could get one owner 50K convertibles for $10,500. It is rare today to find one for that price.<P>If you want a Reatta, now is the time to buy, when the stock market turns around, I would expect prices (of almost everything) to start rebounding.<P>I hate to compare the Reatta with other cars but a couple of examples...there were more than twice as many 2-seat T'birds built in three years as all Reattas in 4. If you compare the number of Reatta convertibles to the early birds, the ratio is around 22 to 1<BR>In 1948 Crosley built more station wagons in one year than all 4 years of Reatta production. (I am not saying there is any comparison between the two cars) How often do you see a 48 Crosley wagon, 50+ years later?<P>The Reatta is a good example of what should be a rare collectible automobile in 20-30 years. Even if you don't keep yours that long, you will have the pictures and be able to tell the people in the retirement home you once owned one.

Nininomad: Thanks for the response. After much research, I am limiting my search to the 1991 model year, whether it be a convertible or coupe. Better brakes, tuned port fuel injection, standard with the grand touring suspension, a better perfoming final drive ratio. <P>Barney: thanks for the grat response. I agree.