Chime Module????

Guest Drake

Guest Drake

I'm down to my final electrical problem (For Now). The chime module works occasionally ( ie: key in ignician- engine off- door open, lights on- key removed- door open). Also, when I start the Reatta, the seat belt light on the ICP lights, but no chime. Light goes out after approx: 7 seconds.

I've checked the FSM, and found the chime module is controled by the BCM for all of it's functions. Am I right in assuming the chime module would be the culprit?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drake

Just an update: had time to look deeper into problem. Was able to aquire a new chime module. Swapped out and problem solved. Also,Happy Fathers Day!

Guest imported_blazer1997

Also have a 89 and my chime module sounds like a sick cat.

Have a part # and cost of the module. Thanks

Guest Drake

The old GM number is 25518745. The new number is 88959440. That's the good news. VintageParts.com has 122 in stock, at $207.37 each, I can see why they still have 122. Buy-OEM-Parts.com has them for $144.52 each. Still steep. I was lucky enough to get one from a parts car a friend of mine has.

The chime module is located behind the glove box (simple removal). It's a black plug in module approx: 2" X 3" above and to the right of the BCM. You will find a good diagram in section 8A-201-8 in the service manual. Also, not sure if it's the same in the Riviera. Hope I answered everyones questions.

Dave I just found the diagram for the 89 Riviera, the chime module looks to be the same as the Reatta, and in the same area behind the glove box.

Guest Drake

Ronnie, I found the turn signal module. Under the ICP, above the parking brake. 8A-201-13 in the service manual

Guest dpannell

Guys- I started to change my chime module because it was horribly intermittent and crappy sounding........Turned out all that needed done was cleaning all the connectors and re-installing it. Its not the easiest of the modules to get to...but its been well worth the effort. Its worked flawlessly for 4 months now in all modes. Dave

Guest Drake

Hello Dave. Thanks for the information. I originally removed the old chime module, cleaned the contacts & the wiring harness. It would still only chime once in awhile. Installed the replacement, works perfectly (you know I just jinxd myself).

Drake:

If my wife knew where the Chime Module was, she'd probably take a shotgun to it. She hates the thing.

Tom T.

Guest Drake

Tom:

When I got mine working, my wife looked at me like a deer looking into headlights. She had no comments, but I read her mind ( Great, the dishwasher is still making noise ).