Turn signal failure, 1950 Standard Eight

Guest CaptainBristol

Guest CaptainBristol

All 4 of my turn signals suddenly quit working yesterday. Nothing unusual was going on with the car--I have been driving it almost daily with fine results.

This is the 1st time this has happened to me. I am assuming there is a switch or relay that failed. Any ideas? Is there a simple part I can buy in an auto parts store to address this issue?

Thanks much,

Mark in Alaska

Guest imported_Speedster

Since all 4 don't work, I'd suspect a power failure to the system. Such as blown fuse or loose wire from terminal block, at flasher or at switch. Do you have a schmatic-drawing? If not, getting one would be the first thing I would do, unless you already know the route of the circuit and where all the components are.

The slip on connectors, on the flasher unit, is a common failure point.

Guest CaptainBristol

Owen

All other lights (Headlights, tail lights, interior lights, brake lights, etc) work normally. However, the directional indicator on the dash does not work. I have not changed the flasher unit. I'm not even sure where it is!

Thanks for your interest,

Mark in Alaska

Guest imported_Speedster

Sounds to me like you need to get 'Up close and Personal' and get to 'Know' your car Better. grin.gif

Crawl up under it's Dash and find out what's Hangin' around under there. grin.gif You may be very Surprised what you Find. grin.gif

Usually if the flasher unit itself fails the lights stay on, instead of off. Find and check the Fuse first.

The flasher itself is an aluminum can about the size of a 35mm film container. It plugs into the wiring harness. On a car as old as yours it is probably hanging in the wiring harness under the dash, ahead of the steering wheel.

On newer cars it plugs into the fuse panel.

As Speedster pointed out, if it fails the turn signals go on but don't blink off.

If they don't even go on, and all 4 went at once, it is probably something to do with the power to the switch.

One more thing. If one bulb fails to light the lights may blink slowly. Could be a bad bulb or bad connection, when you fix it the flasher works normally again.

If brake lites still work, there is a separate fuse for turn signals. It should be a wire inline type in a metal cylinder holder coming off of ignition switch and going to the metal can mentioned earlier. If things suddenly failed and the fuse IS blown, then would look carefully for a short. I'd start in the front end area since brakes still work and that wiring is common between brake and turnsignal, next under dash with the indicator light. If I remember, that light is in the typical metal socket and have seen the old wiring insulation recede more than once leaving 1/4" bare wire entering. Of course, if blown the fuse could have just gotten tired after 60 years too.

Hi from Austin Texas...You have got to find a service manual for this car....see Hemmings Motor News....its worth the cost. The book is also wonderful reading material for Packard. It addresses problems at the end of each section, one of which is yours. Good luck!!

Guest BigKev

Just an FYI,

The service manual, parts book, service counselors, service technical bulletins, and ultramatic service set are all online for free at www.packardinfo.com for the 1950 and other years.