"On ice feeling" in hard left turns.

fsc2

If you live in an area that it gets cold enough for the roads to ice up, then you will understand my analogy "On ice feeling".

I live in NH, there isn't a straight road in this state! So I am driving the 89 Reatta down a twisting road, at about 40 MPH and noticed that when I am in a hard left turn the car "jerks" to the right (in the front end, right side wheel). It is the same feeling when you hit a small patch of ice, the tire slips on the ice and then corrects/grabs itself when it leaves the ice. I almost thought that the lug nuts were not on tight or that the tire pressure was really low. Needless to say I had a sinking feeling the rest of the way home.

I jacked the front end up, grabbed the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 to see if there was rocking (ball joint), and nothing.

Wondering what you guys think of this.

If you find no play in the strut mount or lower bushings, try rotating the tires.

I suspect you have a tire with tread seperation and you happened to hit that spot as you were turning.

I had a Ford pickup do that and it was too much toe-in in the front end. An alignment took care of it. My 88 Reatta squirms a bit on ice and I think it is due to a bad rear strut. If one strut is bad, the car teeters diagonally front to rear and you can spin out easily on ice. I caught a rut on the side of the road, and when I came out I snapped back and forth twice before hitting the ditch at 50 mph. I am replacing them all around as Monroe is having a buy-3 get one free sale. The back one's cost more than the front! I grew up in Wolfeboro, NH, so I know your Reatta is getting a suspension work out this time of year.

It is funny that Mr Eaton brought up the tire. When I obtained the car last year, I noticed that the front right tire would lose it's air pressure over the course of 1 week. When I went into the garage back in November it was flat to the ground. I jacked the car up so the tire was not in contact with the ground and it sat like that until the end of March. I recently had it repaired (the leak was at the wheel weight).

I wonder if I damaged the tire somehow through the course of these events. I am going to move the right front to the back and see what happens. I will submit my tests results tomorrow.

Oh, I forgot to mention that this "sliding sensation" is repeatable....I can make it happen given the correct circumstances (harder left turn at about 35 MPH). Same turn under 20 MPH, this does not occur.

Guest F14CRAZY

I see that you've done the basic stuff already, but my coupe did the same when it had bad ball joints...like the steering's on-center would change when making hard turns

A ball joints and tierods will usally pop (when bad). Strut possibility, but not too likely. I would look into the rack and pinion. But as most of us know there is a certain science to diagnosing steering issues.

I realy suggest a good alignment shop and indepth description of the issue with the tech (not a machine operator A TECH)

With the terrential downpours up here in the northeast, I figured if wasn't a good idea to take a Reatta out that is having cornering issues.

(Cornering issues + wet roads = tree)

That is a great description from "F14CRAZY", that is the feeling, "like the steering's on-center would change when making hard turns".

The weather is out of here on Tuesday night, so I want to rule out the tire issue Mr Eaton brought up first.

To answer "Ronnie", all of the tires are at 40 PSI and state 50 PSI Max. This was the first thing I checked because I thought the tire went flat again.

Guest Greg Ross

What are you running for tires? 40 psi sounds like it should ride like a buckboard? I run oversized tires and maintain 27 rear and 29 up front for good even wear and handling.

At 40 psi you could have so little tread contact the tire just breaks loose?

Higher psi does equal better fuel economy but this sounds too high to me.

Mike_s....Very cool link! I have not taken the nut off of the control rod, yet. It appears to be intact. I am currently spraying them with PB Blaster to help with the rust. The parts guy at Advance Auto said "I know what is wrong!", he suggested replacing the insulator and retainers, I actually have all of those parts to install. They are 20 years old and have 179000 miles "on them".

Pretty cool that you were both heading in the same direction.

Nice post, thanks!

Guest Mike_s

Glad I could help, but the kudos should go to those on the he link.

BTW you might do a seach on the "control rod", or "reaction", others have gone down this road before.

From what I've read a busted reaction rod can have very harmful consequences.

Take care

• 1 month later...

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

After taking apart the front end, it turned out that the right front ball joint had almost fallen apart. If I tried hard enough I could probably get the ball out of the socket...NOT GOOD.

My theory is..."If it is worth doing, it's worth over doing!" So the whole front end was rebuilt....axle output oil shafts, ball joints, struts, tie rod ends, bushings...

My compliments to Buick, this car is a breeze to work on, espceially with the factory manual.